SO TORN Which breed next?!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Animalian, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    So... Ebony climbed a tree and jumped the fence into the jaws of our neighbours dogs. Heather was very unlucky and after 2 1/2 years of health had to be put down today after her second prolapse....

So now I have Milly the RIR, Esmarelda the EE/d'uccle mutt who doesn't lay green eggs and Echo the broody PR who is currently sitting on three of Esmarelda's chicks in eggs (in hopes they will grow up to lay green eggs like all her sisters did!!!)

I'm planning on only keeping one of the chicks that hatch out, must be a pullet, must have a beard/ head poof OR lay green eggs. I already have good homes lined up for the other two.

My hens are gorgeous (shiny mahogany, glossy black and silver pencilled patterning) but I want some more colour... Something lighter... I miss my faverolle she had a beautiful soft colour [​IMG]

Recommend me some colourful breeds that come in bantam size! Silkies, frizzles, and pekins have already been considered! MUST come in bantam size! Interesting crosses are welcome!

Oh and I don't feel ready for another D'uccle or Faverolle.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  2. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    Silkies! [​IMG]

3. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    But Pekins are so cute! But, as a Silkies owner, Silkies! [​IMG]

4. Animalian

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    Give me pros to silkies other than being the fuzziest butts around!
    We get flooded here so I'd be worried about it's 'feather situation' lol

5. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    Quote:Then get ducks! [​IMG]

6. Animalian

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    Haha noo they'd run away we literally get a river in our front yard when it rains! They should be fine, coop is on a raised concrete slab covered in sand for drainage but I'd still be worried.

I don't want any more accidents, I didn't think my little D'uccle could fly over a 6 foot fence, but I was wrong and the dogs next door got her. Hence the reason I need a new chicken, her buddy the PR is lonely!!

7. lvchicken

lvchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2011
    Quote:Then get ducks! [​IMG]

lol! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Animalian

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    Any more votes? hehe

9. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I would have to say silkies or pekin. The ameracaunas can be flighty. Or at least mine are. Choose what you want though or you wont be happy. It is hard to choose! [​IMG]

10. Animalian

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    Quote:That's what I'm scared of, especially because of how I lost the last bird... But then... green eggs!
    Maybe I should meet her and see how tame she is... and take my fiance, he's a lot better at saying no than me [​IMG]

If one of the girls I have go broody I know I can VERY easily get some silky and pekin eggs though..... ameraucana eggs would have to be shipped...
    I want them all but can only get one (this year!) gahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by