So upset... anyone know the facts?

I really appreciate everyone’s input! I know you guys have so much experience and thought this was the best place to get an answer... thank you.
I always hate having to throw out eggs for reasons like this, but I do always end up enjoying my composting 'egg sports' that ensue (e.g., drawn bullseye target on a board above the compost bin). It can be fun if you let it!

I had to sign a form that said never at the vet in order to get the meds, but she said 6 weeks. She said no research on ducks for the same reason as another poster. Ducks cost 5 bucks so there is no money in researching them. I'm with the Australia crew. I don't think if you get a tiny bit of antibiotic in your egg after 10 days it would be harmful.

Everytime my vet gives me meds she tells me to discard them for 3 weeks after the last dose. She told me that egg follicles can be be present for up to 3 weeks before eggs are laid.

My vet has also told me that there hasn't been adequate testing done on medications and withdrawal times in food animals, since it is not cost effective to treat them. This makes it complicated to treat them as pets. Veterinarians can go to jail and have their licenses revoked if they prescribe medication incorrectly and someone gets hurt, so I would trust your vet about the specific withdrawal time.

I have had ducks with medication that prohibited me from eating their eggs ever. These were medications that stayed in the body indefinitely, like birth control implants. Or serious medications like amphotericin b. I didn't use eggs from anyone while those ducks were living, just in case.

Hey guys... so on 12/30 my one duck had a what looked like a cut or something on her shoulder blade.. when I took her to the vet the next day- she was already healing - but he said as a “ precaution “ he was giving her bactrim ( I’m a physician... so I know the drug is used for wounds ... but we never give unless there IS an infection) ... but I did give one and 1/2 doses then realized this was ridiculous.. she was fine ... and yes she was in fact fine ... but the vet told me he was going to find out about a wash out period for the eggs ( she was only three months old at that time) well last week one of my four ducks starred laying eggs.. I looked up bactrim
Wash out and found out eggs can never be consumed by humans, if poultry given bactrim!!!
Do you guys have any experience with this???
I had a vet say regulations for these sort of things change over the years as research comes out, but like someone said- yes research is scarce. However! I think it may have been updated. My hen was just prescribed Bactrim and the vet provided a 42 day withdrawal period.

I've used Bactrim several times to treat bumble. My vet also says 6 weeks. It works very well on ducks. I agree if there is no infection, I would stop giving. At her age by the time she lays you should be free and clear.

Back
Top Bottom