So went to clean the poop from the coop and found a bloody mess!

Chick named Lola

Songster
9 Years
Aug 15, 2010
Maryland
I will post a pic. How much is a lot of blood for a chicken? I knew who to check first, my SS that always gets beaten up by the SLW. I was right, she had dried blood down her breast bone but not obvious cause...she wasn't being very cooperative. She seems fine, eatin etc.. Should I do anything? How do I get the blood off? Is a cool bath ok on a hot, humid day? Does she need to be dry before I put her back or is that just in cool weather? I have blue cote and most of the other stuff on the first aid list. Just need to know what to do...

Thanks!!!!

edited to add:

65545_blood_002.jpg

65545_blood_001.jpg

Last edited:
I'd definitely grab her and sit her in a coolish bath to clean her up and hopefully get a better idea of what the wound looks like. Apply antiseptic cream if it looks necessary.
I'd also keep her separate from the rest, at least for a few days so the wound can heal up well, and she can recover from the shock. Feed her extra vitamins and electrolytes and some dark green leafy veggies.
Poor baby!

I did put her in a cool bath and got all the caked blood off her. I laid her on her back on my lap and went over her and still could not find the source or even a mark?? I did separate the two bullies of the group to give her a rest with her friends. She's been munching on fresh kale and tomato. My other girls don't have any blood on them. I'm stumped.

Just to help with your concerns a little.. that's actually not much blood at all.. it just looks a lot worse than it really is..

To show you what I mean.. when i was in school one of my teachers took a quarter of a cup of colored water and spilled it on the floor with out telling us how much it was.. then asked us to guess how much water was there.. NONE of us guessed right.. we all assumed it was much much more than a quarter of a cup

Now adding to that if you took a few drops of blood and smeared them around.. that makes it look like even more

So no worries that she had lost too much blood.. I'm sure she has replaced the lost blood cells already

That kind of looks like bloody poop at the bottom which is another problem all together.

I sure do appreciate your words of encouragement. I did want to mention that directly underneath this mess was one of her eggs, broken from falling and the shell was very thin. I have tons of oyster shell available ALL the time as well as her insoluable grit. When I took the pic, I had already cleaned it up. I don't think there was bloody poo, just blood coagulating. I saw her poop today and it was a bit runny but no blood.

I think she's fine as she is still her normal self and no further problems. Let's hope right?!
wink.png

Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom