1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

So WHEN DO button quail start laying??

Discussion in 'Quail' started by arlee453, Aug 11, 2008.

1. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    This is as bad as waiting for the first chicken egg....

I have 10 button quail. I'm pretty sure at least 3 are males, from their white bibs under their chins, and at least 5-7 are girls, judging from their lack of splashy coloration and no bibs.

They were hatched on 6/9. That makes them 9 weeks old today. They are eating a mix of about 75% cat food ground up fine, 25% chicken starter. They also get the seed the parakeets spill, and also some green seed heads and millet spray. They have a nest box and also a tray full of parakeet sand/grit for calcium and dust bathing, which they love to do. They seem happy and healthy - no pecked feathers, and no fighting. They just run around 'beeping' all day and scratching around looking for whatever they can find that the parakeets spill for them.

Everything I read says expect eggs anywhere from 6-8 weeks.

So.....WHERE oh WHERE are my button eggs????

Sigh....

Last edited: Aug 11, 2008
  2. jaybme

jaybme Chillin' With My Peeps

My Bq hatched May 9, and started laying at 9 and 11 weeks. They just hatched their first clutch today- don't give up hope!

Jaybme

3. Lophura

Lophura Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Holden, Missouri
    Quote:Patience is a virtue. Give them time, they'll breed when they are ready. I suggest in addition to what you are doing is to also add some live food to the diet, perhaps some clumps of grass or plants to simulate natural environment in the aviary.

Dan

4. arlee453

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    12 weeks...still waiting....

[​IMG]

5. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Wow, your buttons must have a protein overload....... they have the needs of a regular laying hen, not that of a gamebird. Switch'em over to 17%-18% layer crumble and the parakeet seed, see what happens then.

Many people are under the impression Buttons and cortunix quail have the same high protein needs as Bobwhites and other wild "real" gamebirds. Fact of the matter is buttons and Cortunix have been domesticated for a long time and thus are closer to a chicken in needs then gamebirds.

6. arlee453

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    thanks fancyfowl - I'll try lowering the % protein by mixing in layer pellets over the next few days.

7. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I've been feeding mine the 24% gamebird feed and I have one hen that started laying 8/10 - at about 8 weeks. I don't give them any live treats or anything, other than some canary seed and tomatoes every now and then. Light is important - they need about 16 hours a day.

8. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    as long as they're getting proper lighting, and all that great feed you're given them just be pacient *pats on back*

my pair was suposedly laying for the breeder when i got them at like 7 weeks old, however almost 3 weeks later is when i finnally got my first eggs from them...now she's on her 17th eggi think it is now, daily [​IMG]. She'll stop laying soon though ebcause she's an outside bird with her mate in a nice shelter/hutch enclosure so the lighting will change and she'll stop but all indoor buttons as long as they have proper lighting should lay soon and frequently (daily) for the rest of their lives (1-2 years normaly).

I read that they need 18 hours of light on them a day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by