So.. when do they typically start strutting?

Nyrial

Songster
10 Years
Aug 4, 2009
Lake Stevens, WA
I have a Royal Palm and last night he was displaying as well as his week old body would allow. It was so funny!

100_7218.jpg

100_7224.jpg

Is this a common occurrence? Or is he just a thug gansta turkey?

Either way, it's pretty funny.

I've got one in the brooder now that strut once in a while. The last time I saw him do it one of the Leghorn chicks ran over, pecked him, and told him to stop putting on airs.

.....Alan.

Oh how cute. I have to go home and get that computer's picture of mine when he was that little he/she strutted like that and it was the cuuuuutest thing. I got several pix. I am now at 6 weeks old trying to see if mine are toms or hens. Because I hear hens can do that too? I have pix of mine at 6 weeks doing that and I am still getting mixed answers if it is a girl or a boy. Look at the pix on my threads 5 weeks old am I a girl or boy. good luck!!!!!

Thats so cute! Mine are a month old and I still haven't seen any of them do it. One of them is bigger than the other two and I was thinking it was a he but I have been keeping an eye on him and never see him(?) do anything.

Too Cute. I have 2 little ones that keep doing the strut. Last night DD and I watched these two go at it for about an hour. Way entertaining.
29708_poultseggs_013.jpg

I got one pic.

My Bourbon Reds are over a month old and no one is strutting. I was really wishing for a breeding pair but now I'm worried I have all girls!!

It really depends on the variety. Some general things to look for

the males will tend to have over all thicker legs, and be bigger. You should be able to see that in a few weeks.

When they get older and feather in some you can tell by the feather edging color, the snood bump will be bigger on the toms. As they feather the toms will loose the fuzz on their hens and the hens will grow feathers.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom