So when we started this chicken stuff..we decided on 8

We started with two adult sex links.

One was sick and culled.

2-1

We bought 3, five week old, BOs.

2-1+3

A couple months later i went to a swap to pick up several chicks but got there later so no chicks...BUT someone was trying to get rid of a young buckeye rooster. I took him home (really really love him BTW!!)

2-1+3+1

A couple months ago i asked someone about collecting some eggs during a trip. They said sure but, unfortunately, they had no eggs when trip time came.

2-1+3+1+0

I spoke to a woman about some buckeyes she was selling on here. She had already sold them but directed me to a woman selling off her old flock of them. We talked and i mentioned i would need to wait till spring to build a bigger coop. She agreed to hold them until then (Thank you!!!). We pick them up in April.

2-1+3+1+0+5

I saw an page for Hodges Farms and went to their site. This is where i really go nuts. I ordered 8 buff sussex, 6 wheaten marans, 8 wheaten ameraucanas. Later, i noticed she was also selling coronation sussex so i had 2 of those added to my order. Shipping in April

2-1+3+1+0+5+22+2

I see that the woman holding the buckeyes for me is also selling welsummers. I contact her to see if she'll be selling chicks. She says yeah and that she might also be able to hatch out some blue ameraucanas and some OE's. I tell her that i'd like some of each. She says she'll see what she gets from the birds (Yay!!). I'll be collecting them with the buckeyes in April.

2-1+3+1+0+5+22+2+c

The other day we went into TSC to see the chicks. We had planned to get "a couple" and were told they had a minimum of 6 rule. My husband, who at this point is getting very nervous says lovingly, "I guess we can get 6." When i tell him i want to get 3 of the "reds" as well he says, lovingly of course, "No!" "But..." " No! We have too many birds coming" "But honey...there will be roosters" "And what exactly are you planning to do with those?!" "Ok, i won't get any." "Oh, alright, but just the three more."
big_smile.png
He really is wonderful...in so many ways. We pick out our 6 "chipmunk" EEs and 3 "reds"

2-1+3+1+0+5+22+2+c+9

The next day we run into the feed store for layer mash and they have their chicks in. We go to look and i really have little intention of getting any. I am quite content with my little puffballs at home...but...they have these teeny little, all brown, EEs with chocolate brown legs and little muffs. I get two. Hubby says, "Aww, they are really nice looking little things."
smile.png

2-1+3+1+0+5+22+2+c+9+2

So here we are building a much larger coop.

wee.gif

Last edited:
I originally wanted 4. But then was prepared to order 25 and rehome some of them. I found somewhere where I didnt need to order 25, but they were so cheap I thought I should get extras incase some died or roosters. So I decided 8 would be good. But wanted more than two of each one, and liked 4 breeds. So then it became 10 and but I had to have an even number of all breeds, so I got 3 of each one, a total of 12. I didnt go TOO far off my original mark.

But I also have to go to TSC Tuesday.
wink.png

We started out last May with 2 went to an auction got 6 more went to a farm got 6 more 5 ended up roos went back to the farm got 2 more both ended up boys rehomed all but 2 roos got 4 NN 1 boy rehomed the boy and 1 girl went to another farm got 5 1 boy rehomed ordered from 10 from Ideal 9 DOA the other died 2 days later. Went to another farm bought 6 1 boy rehomed and he threw in 3 silkie mixes 1 boy since rehomed those 3. Got DD 2 D'Anvers then I started hatching have hatched out so far 50 chicks have sold 33 of those, have 7 in the incubator and 6 duck eggs we also have 2 ducks and I hatched 2 duckling in February. Just ordered at our local feed store 1o buff bantam cochins and 5 salmon favorolles, so at present count I have 18 layers 2 roosters 5 bantams and 17 chicks not to mention the ones I ordered. Didnt tell DH about my order hope to have some of the chickes sold before the new ones arrive.

I told my wife we are only going to get 3, when we got to the farm, I changed my mind last second and told the guy we'll Take 6 of them !!!
and that where I will stop, only because I only have room for 6.
Now I have to go to TSC for Feed, but I'm holding back from going, because I know what will happen as soon as the kids see the chicks.

Here is the short version.

3 Black Cochins- 2 pullets 1 cockerel
1 Barred Rock pullet
3 American Patriot chicks- Maybe 1 boy and 2 girls, still a little early to tell for sure.
36 in the incubator.(24 EE, 8 Yokohama, 2 RIR and 2 Dark Brahma roo over Buff Cochin Hen)

All since the first week of January.

All I wanted was a few eggs!!!

Edit for spelling

Last edited:
DH said I could have 6 layers max and I pushed for a roo and he said I could only have one if we could eat the babies so I took that as a go ahead to start my hatching addiction.
gig.gif

My pen has room for 60+ chickens easily.

Well I started with 0 and was seeking chickens when a friend gave me 10 chicks.
big_smile.png

Then I found 2 super cheap incubators... You can see where this is going!
First hatch, 7 of 12 out. Had to cull one.
sad.png

Set 12 for CNY, no live hatches. Then set 48 shipped eggs, nothing.
sad.png

4th hatch 11/48 out, culled 3 so far.
hit.gif
Appears to have been poor parental nutrition.
somad.gif

5th hatch in lockdown. 10/48 eggs made it this far. They are from the same place as the CNY eggs and the ones I just hatched so I'll have to see how they go.

Current running total: 10 at 20 weeks (4 of them roos) 6 at 5 weeks (3 roos, 1 pullet, 2 ?
fl.gif
pullets) 8 at 3do, 10 eggs in lockdown. 24 + whatever hatches
smile.png

Going to sell/eat most of the roos so really not that many... yet
hide.gif
but I want to buy more eggs...
hide.gif
and my girls will be laying soon...
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom