So when's too many chickens going to be too many?!?!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gumpsgirl, Apr 16, 2009.

1. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    This is the question I got from my husband yesterday when we were out building coop number three! [​IMG] He looked around, looked in the coop brooder, looked at the broody, referred to the chicks in the brooder in the bathroom and the eggs in the bator, then asked that question. I just told him that I had no idea and started talking about my need and plans for coop number four! [​IMG]

2. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG] I think I'm following down the same path. Oh dear! [​IMG]

3. crackertrail

crackertrail Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2009
    Hardee County
    My friend gave my husband 5 young hens and a rooster for Christmas. It had been over 4 years since we had any chickens, but it didn't take long to get the bug. I ordered chicks, and we fell in love with them. Another friend showed up with eggs to incubate and now we have more little chicks. I think we can stop now. But I may need one or two more. lol:p

4. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I started out with 2 chickens.. Now I'm up to 16 and 23 eggs in the bator (some for a friend)..

But tell him you can never have to many chickens [​IMG] It's the truth!

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Started years ago with two, which became five which is now 12 + 15 + 12= 39 and 14 eggs in the incubator.........so a possibility of 53, and at least 11 are roos..... OK, that'll do me for a while!

Anybody want a roo?

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Hmmm, I thought 6 coops (split into 13 pens) was enough to take care of, but alas another one is going up. [​IMG] And 4 wild bird flight pens and another one going up. And I lost track of all those quail pens. [​IMG] I guess I'm not much help. Just keep building! [​IMG]

7. loverOFchickens

loverOFchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Started out with 5.
    We are up to 30!![​IMG]

8. Four Acre Bliss

Four Acre Bliss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    Virginia
    For now, 11 is our max unless we build a tractor and do broilers later in the summer (but I don't think of those as "chickens," just "good eating"). I mean the ones we're going to keep around and spoil ... eleven is probably even too many.

But next spring, all bets are off if somebody goes broody. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  9. abluechipstock

abluechipstock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    fort ashby, wv
    there's only to many when the birds are fighting constantly from being over crowded, i just bought 20 chicks from tsc, got 18 in the mail, already have about 25 various adults, i free range most of them so that helps, it's an addiction but a good addiction! [​IMG]

10. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Well I'm up to banty breeder pen # 9 and LF # 6 I still only have one juvie pen and two outdoor brooders though [​IMG] The bad news is, I just bought a sportsman! [​IMG] I think DH is going to be building more pens real soon [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by