Soap process question..

Badhbh

Songster
12 Years
Nov 16, 2007
Southern Indiana
I got "Soap and Other Obsessions" yesterday, and I'm on the goat milk chapter. Has anyone tested this? I believe her, but i just can't see how it's possible.

Stir the oils as you slowly add the milk/lye solution. From here on it is just the same as you would do any of your soap recipes. Only difference is you put it in the refrigerator so that it will not gel. If it gels, it turns darker. If you've used a fragrance oil that turns dark, there is no reason to put it in the refrigerator. Leave in the refrigerator for 24-36 hours. 36 hours gives a little harder bar as the refrigerator takes a little of the moisture out. There will be no active lye after 48 hours.

Now, does that mean that it's usable after 48 hours??​

I haven't read her book, but I think all she is saying is that enough of the lye has saponified with the oils that there is no active lye after 48 hours. I have experimented with non gelled soaps and yes they do take a couple of days to stop zapping vs gel soaps which for me don't zap as soon as it gets hard.

Now, I have to say that I don't think the soaps are their best after only 48 hours. Not to say that I havn't used soaps that soon, but they only get better with age and if you plan on selling them, I personally think you need to wait a minimum of 3 weeks depending on your water discount. JMO

i've got a batch in the fridge now, so we shall see.
It's a COMPLETELY bungled batch. Forgot the castor oil, didn't get the colour right, all that because hubbs was trying to help and spilled an ENTIRE BOTTLE of Blue Mix LabColor on the counter
sad.png

So yeah, we'll see what happens.

Back
Top Bottom