Socializing Poults

Terrapene13

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 24, 2012
Peach Bottom, PA
Hello, while ive used this forum for reference before, ive never actually posted. Hello to the byc community! Ive got about 13 of the most awesome chickens, but this is my first run with turkeys. I picked up two Narragansett Poults on Friday. They are almost fully feathered, but still very small. They havent been socialized at all. From what i hear they can be tamed in the same way chickens can. All of my chickens coming running whenever i walk out and most like to be petted....The poults are terrified of me...Ive tried holding them, which they tolerate, but cant wait to run away. Ive tried bribing them with crickets and worms (which the chicks go crazy for) which they will eat off the ground but will not come near my hand. Do they just need time? They say Narragansetts are one of the most well mannered breeds...Do you all have any advice?

My (rather limited) experience with Turkeys is that they will gradually become tamer through exposure. As the realize where the food comes from they will become more comfortable with you. I have never set out to tame my turkeys, but they tend to hang around where I am when I'm outside and will come when I call them to be fed.

hi there and welcome!
I am new myself to this - got 2 Narragansett boys 29 July at 5 1/2 weeks. They hadn't been handled but lived in a group of mixed chickens/ turkeys at a local farm. I found that just pottering around during the day around them or sitting near them worked well. One has tried to roost on my shoulder at night from the beginning though, and the way to their heart is still through their food.'m sure that time will improve things although I don't know if they will ever be as tame as your chickens. Good luck!

My turkeys hang about and would not accept any treats from me, even live crickets! That is until this weekend I discovered something they cannot resist. Cherries it makes them go
ya.gif
-not that I am going to give it to them often cherries are expensive and for me!

I agree just spend time with them they will come around in time and a little bribery doesn't heart ether.

Heck there has been a Turtle come and go from there pen for months and every time they see it they stare at it do there little danger peeps they just cant figure out what it is LOL.
Turkeys dont like new anything they have to figure it out first before its accepted.

Cherries....i think we have some....ill chop some up and see what happens...ill just keep working with them....i do have one other question for you seasoned turkey owners. These guys are much more agile than the chicks....i had to trim their primaries so they would stay in the brooder. When do you trust them enough to go out to pasture? Our five foot fence contains the chicks no problem, but im not so sure about them....they are really agile even now that their wings are clipped

Cherries....i think we have some....ill chop some up and see what happens...ill just keep working with them....i do have one other question for you seasoned turkey owners. These guys are much more agile than the chicks....i had to trim their primaries so they would stay in the brooder. When do you trust them enough to go out to pasture? Our five foot fence contains the chicks no problem, but im not so sure about them....they are really agile even now that their wings are clipped

I have a five foot fence as well, I clip the primaries pretty often while they are growing. About every 2 weeks. Once they get larger they will pretty much stop going over even un-clipped. Toms for sure - I still have the occasional escaped hen.

My poults love lettuce and clover best of all. They are very suspicious of bugs, so bugs are not the best treats. I just call mine every time I give treats and it doesn't take long before they run towards me every time they see me.

Since picking them up frightens them, perhaps that is not the best way to tame them. If you scare them every time you come around, they will soon be avoiding you.

I definitely agree, ive stopped trying to hold them. I just sit by and have offered them lettuce and other treats. They actively indulge when im not around, but are still too shy to eat when im with them. Ill keep working with them....theyll come around

I'm going to be new to turkeys next spring, so I am in here lurking at present. Having had experience with chickens though, and a few really testy roosters, I am going by the old adage that; "familiarity breeds contempt". In other words, if you make them too tame, they will walk all over you, and some can get mean. If you want a poultry pet, get a Silkie. If you want to raise and eat turkeys, let them be turkeys. They will still come to you when they hear you feeding, don't worry there, but they won't try to dominate you either, they will keep their distance. Who wants a 30+ lb. turkey sitting on their lap anyway??
lau.gif
I still have one mean roo here that was a solo hatch. I had to be his mama, and also protect him from the other chickens when I assimilated him into the flock. Wouldn't you know, the little ingrate is a man fighter, and I have to always keep my eye on him. He is getting better with age, but I still am wary. This rooster only weighs about 10 lbs., so can you imagine an irrate 30lb Tom coming after you? My main objective with the turkeys will be meat for my table. The quicker they grow out, the less feed I have to put out. Down the road I may find I like turkeys and want to get a few Heritage birds, but for right now, it's looking like BBWs or BBBs for me.

Back
Top Bottom