Soda/Obesity Tax?

What do you think about the Soda/Obesity Tax?

• I support it - it's a great idea.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm on the fence.

• I'm against it.

• I don't drink sodas.

• Other - specify.

• Total voters
<<<~~~~~~ there, now I feel better
smile.png

meri

Quote:
LOL! Where did you stick it? In the stomach?

lau.gif
naw, I changed my location....

now if the mods will just change my title to Empress of Chickenville, I'll be all set - alll I'll need to do is to write a Constitution... maybe I'll use a copy of the U.S Constitution, D.C. isn't using it anymore, anyway, they won't miss it....

wink.png

meri

Why don't they just do it the easy way (since they aren't going to tax candy this way, or fatty meats, or whatever) Why not an Obesity Tax on health insurance? They do it to life insurance for smokers?!

I've quit smoking going on 6 months, and my husband as well. Yet we haven't been smoke free enough to get the life insurance discount. I drink coffee in the morning and he always has a mountain dew before we start our days... caffine and sugar kicks are important to us. My husband is 129 lbs soaking wet. He drinks soda every day... so why is he or I being charged a fat person tax...? And that's what it is... its meant to go after fat people! Who are they to pass that judgement on anyone and everyone?!

Why aren't they offering one of their 'tax breaks' to over weight people to join and use a gym... and then, with actual doctor documented proof, give them a larger break if they can reduce their body fat percentage by more then 5%?!

Taxing a soda is no more then trying to collect more money and trying to sound morally correct for the reason.

Besides... didn't NC just going up in sales tax last week from 7% to 7.75%? FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, when I moved here 14 years ago it was only 5%!!!!!!!!!!
he.gif

somad.gif

Quote:
The really sad thing is that people are having a hard time paying their mortgage or rent, or feeding their families, but they've got two pack-a-day adults in the household shelling out about $56 a week each, or $448 a month to smoke.

That is sad but what is the solution? What if one of the people in the house is 300+ pounds? I may not like it nor do I like paying higher taxes or insurance premiums but I still do not believe I or the government has a right to intervene in these people's lives. This is all just part of the human condition. It has always been this way and always will.

If people are kicking the bucket from smoking and being over weight its natural selection I think... if someone loves themselves enough, they will get the personal strength and effort to get help, or take better care of one's self. No government entity is going to FORCE me to do whats best for me.

These are the same people who think they can control how I raise my chickens or grow my own organic foods!?
lau.gif

Robin'sBrood :

I think that is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. I don't drink soda period but we do buy a little for our kids, none of which are even close to being overweight, and I WILL NOT be feeding artificial sweeteners to my children, which is what is in diet sodas! Crazy, stupid idea. I'd support raising the tax on cigarettes and alcohol instead... or at least something that isn't for children.

Soda shouldn't be for children!

Go ahead, throw someone else under the bus if it makes you feel good!​

Quote:
Good find. So true and so sad. I dislike the idea of subsidizing or taxing anything but I'd support major tax breaks for farms producing real foods.

BTW I've wanted the Omnivore's Dilemma for sometime and just ordered the audiobook version from Audible.com.

Why not an Obesity Tax on health insurance?

I think some insurers already have that for life insurance. One of my friends and his wife were on a crash diet for about a month because they were getting additional life insurance and could save a lot of money if they dropped weight. He had to lose 20 to get under the bar, and she had to lose 30. They didn't come close to losing that in the month they had.

Wouldn't be hard to add for health insurance. On the other hand, those body mass indexes are stupidly simple and don't cover all scenarios.

I was over the body mass index line when I was in the miltary. I was a former college athlete, had almost no body fat and a heart rate that was <55 at rest, and I got the max score on the Army's physical fitness test every time. Muscle is dense, though, so I was "overweight" for my height on the BMI chart ... and I was fairly thin, not a fireplug build at all. I had a hard time getting my BDU pants to stay up and had to get the waists taken in ... and yet I had to get a medical waiver to get out of being assigned to a corrective physical fitness program because of the BMI chart.​

Back
Top Bottom