Soft Egg Today

Ascholten

Free Ranging
Dec 12, 2020
Jacksonville, FL
Well I have 2 that are taking a break from egg laying. one is molting for sure, the other not sure if it's the light hours changing or what but she took a break.

ONe of the hens is coming back but her eggs have been a bit erratic. She had another I guess you could call it soft? It had a shell on it, but the shell was super thin, it'd crush if you tried to pick the egg up, thin.

The thing is, she knew the egg was going to be bad too I believe because she laid it down in the poop area and NOT the regular egg laying area? Is this kind of normal when the restart with the egg laying after taking a break, and knowing it's a bad one?

Diet is good, they got plenty of calcium etc etc, and appear healthy. I'll be keeping an eye for sure on her.

Aaron

Is this kind of normal when the restart with the egg laying after taking a break, and knowing it's a bad one?
My hens will occasionally have soft eggs when their system is getting going again. The have never put the soft egg in the nest boxes either, I kinda wonder if they get nervous about its not being an egg at all.

You could give your hen some crushed up tums mixed with boiled egg. The tums aren't the best source of calcium but they do help. The boiled egg will give her some protein, low protein sometimes contributes to soft eggs, right now chickens are molting (or they are about to) and they need extra protein.

Last edited:
Im giving them extra protein, There's some all flock food that's like 20 percent protein I just picked a bag of up, (well THEY picked the bag up for me and put it in the truck, ill cup it out from there...) so the little extra should help them and it's not too much extra to hurt them for one bag worth I am assuming. one molted, the other, I figured was going to, but turns out she just took a break. The other two have not done a thing yet this year, so im expecting their turn in the barrel real soon here as well. Just want them to be healthy and understand poop eggs happen once in a while but want to ask just in case so I don't miss something I should have caught early on and it became a bad thing later.

Aaron

Back
Top Bottom