Soft egg

Is it hot where you are?
With them free ranging, I bet they aren't eating much feed, so are probably not getting the nutrients they need.
Try making a wet mash with the layer feed.
A quarter cup of dry feed for two chickens.
In hot weather use cold water.
I make it daily, early afternoons during the summer months. My hens love it. 20200618_134804_resized_kindlephoto-4851370.jpg . GC

Is it hot where you are?
With them free ranging, I bet they aren't eating much feed, so are probably not getting the nutrients they need.
I make it daily, early afternoons during the summer months. My hens love it.View attachment 2235718. GC
Is it hot where you are?
I make it daily, early afternoons during the summer months. My hens love it.View attachment 2235718. GC
80 degrees with 100% humidity. To make the wet mash do I just what I'm feeding them? How much water is needed?

80 degrees with 100% humidity. To make the wet mash do I just what I'm feeding them? How much water is needed?

If serving wet, you'll need to do some trial and error. Just take a shallow bowl (like a cat dish, pie pan) and put about 1/2 feed, then add a little water, stir, wait for it to absorb a bit, add more water as needed, stir, etc. Most chickens prefer a thicker consistency but you'll need to experiment to see what your flock prefers.

Yes, mix cold water with the Layena feed.
Add enough water to cover the feed about a half inch and serve immediately.
I don't stir it.
The feed will absorb the cold water in 5 minutes or so.
If they finish it, give another serving late afternoon. GC

I don't stir it.
THANK YOU!! I'll give it a try this today. Fingers crossed!

I don't stir it.
Gave my girls the wet mash and THEY LOVED IT!! Couldn't get enough and one of them was standing in it pecking and cooling it..smart chicken! I gave what you suggested and left it down most of the morning. THANK YOU so much for the tip and no soft egg today.

Back
Top Bottom