soft egg?

hchorselover

Songster
9 Years
Jul 29, 2010
today when i was checking for eggs there was a tiny, squishy egg. I didn't think it was an egg till i opened it and there was a yolk inside. Why did it look like this? Is it somthing wrong with my hens ( I don't know who layed it)? Thanks
smile.png

I also had a "soft egg" yesterday. Mine looked like an egg, (Shape & color) only it felt like a water balloon.
I was told to give them oyster shells.

from what i have learned on here first eggs can be like that....but they need more protein like the oyster shells.....it helps lay stronger egg shells....I am still waiting for mine to start laying............
he.gif
someday soon i hope

I have been giving them oyster shells but I think it might be one of my younger chickens first egg!
wee.gif
ya.gif
woot.gif
thumbsup.gif
clap.gif

Most all of my girls are super friendly. But there are a few flighty twits. They'd rather die than be touched.
After we dusted for lice and had to catch the 'flighty' ones, we found for the first time ever, a shell less egg. I think in some cases stress messes up the works. They got something out of order. Everyone is calm and happy again and we are back to the nice hard shelled eggs we had before.
Maybe there was some sort of upset in the hen house that you were not aware of.

It's totally normal for first eggs to be squishy, paper-like, rubbery or without a shell entirely. Hens often need a little time to get their production set-up working properly. Don't be surprised to find eggs on the floor or droppings board either. I think laying first eggs comes as a surprise to them too! They'll work out the kinks in no time.
Congratulations on your first "real" egg!

Back
Top Bottom