soft eggs - no eggs - pasted vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AdventureSmurf, Aug 1, 2010.

1. AdventureSmurf

AdventureSmurf New Egg

Aug 1, 2010
    Hi everyone,

I'm brand new here so I hope I'm posting this in the right spot.

My Rhode Island Red, Scarlet, is just over a year old. She free ranges in my backyard and supplements with Layena. She started laying soft eggs a couple of months ago. It didn't take long before she was eating the eggs. I tried supplementing her food with oyster shell but it didn't help. She wouldn't eat it when I offered it in it's own dish so I started mixing it in with her feed. That didn't seem to help either. When Scarlet ate an egg, she only ate the shell. She left a large yolky mess in the nest box every time. I haven't found any broken shells or egg yolk over the last two weeks. I just noticed that her vent is pasty white. What do you think is going on with her? And what should I do about it?

Thanks in advance for any insights you might be able to share.

2. chickenmom1

chickenmom1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    If you are free ranging, make sure you are worming them. I use a food grade DE with flax seed. As for the eggs, try some yogurt. My girls love it and it gives them an extra calcium boost. I would still add oyster shell to the feed. Hopefully, eventually she will normalize. I am new to this too. I have only been doing it a year, but I learned a lot so far and you never stop learning. Good luck.
  3. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    [​IMG] I haven't gotten any eggs yet, but I think it's normal for new layers to have soft-shell eggs. Just keep supplementing with the oyster shell. As for her vent, I'm not sure.
  4. moondog425

moondog425 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    I crush up egg shells and mix with thier food

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by