Soft Eggs

vachicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 23, 2010
Virginia
I got up at 6 this a.m. and found 2 eggs! woohoo. One was very soft and squishy the other was harder but with very little effort I was able to dent it. I am pretty sure that these were from the 2 hens that haven't laid yet. The other 2 have had hard eggs and don't lay before 6a.m.!

One was in the nest box and the very soft one was in the roosting area. I put the squishy on in the compost b/c I didn't want it to bust and get everywhere, I was wondering if I could eat the other or just cook it for the hens?

They haven't been eating the OS or the crushed egg shells I was giving them, the other 2 hens eggs have been fine. I did put some OS on top of their feed this morning hopefully they will eat some now. I have made my own yogurt which I gave them last night and they gobbled it up, maybe I will offer some of that each day?

This means all are laying - I think - I have only been getting 1 egg a day outta 2 that were laying, one was laying every 3rd day and the other laid 2 days in a row, the last 2 days I have been gone so I have no idea who laid what.. I start a new job today at a State Park so I will never know who is laying!
hmm.png

Thanks for the help guys
yippiechickie.gif

IN my experience the soft shells are due to lack of caluim. Give them oyster shells free choice if possible or mix some in there feed. All so it can be common for first time layers. They should get a layer feed of above 16 percent protien. Some one may have more information though. Hope this helps.

Thanks, they are on layer I had OS out in a bowl but I never saw them eat it. I have been giving them some salmon with the bone and they are eating that up.

HOpefully its just b/c it's their first eggs, the others have been fine.

I have never seen mine either but it is getting lower. OS that is. I have a relativelly young flock all but 4 are just a yr. old { of the laying hens}. I got just a couple of soft shells when they first started. Non lately.

Back
Top Bottom