Soft eggs

rir264

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2013
Plant City, Florida
One of my rir's got sick about two months ago she took some time to start laying again. The problem is that she had one normal egg that was huge and then she started laying eggs that either were soft or completely with out a shell witch she would have a very soft shell beside it! I feed a good food and she has both grit and oyster shell available. Anyone's have any ideas of what is going on?

Birds that are sick or overcoming sickness need supplementation. The same goes with when they are in moult. Spring is breeding season and the ovulation process was likely stressed in the hen. Solid forms of calcium are not as well absorbed as others. Especially if they aren't eating enough of it. Digestibility of food stuffs and a well functioning liver and kidney is important for that. Most poultry supplements don't have enough vitamin B or choline in them. Both are important for cleansing and keeping everything functioning properly.

You might try Lewerstim for 1 day a week: http://www.jedds.com/-strse-1132/LEWERSTIM-100-ml-(Medpet)/Detail.bok

Then supplement with a good vitamin-mineral supplement according to label directions: http://www.jedds.com/-strse-1797/FERTI-dsh-CAL-(Aviomed)/Detail.bok or something comparable.

Last edited:
Jam not sure what she was sick with as she had the same unknown illness that has killed three other hens she was just lucky to make it through. I knew that her system was going to be messed up for a while and that is ok as I really want her to heal. All my chickens get vitamins in their water daily as well as a probiotic. She was my best layer and I really miss her eggs!

Looks like your chicky is lacking calcium. Try giving her yogurt and/or calcium pebbles. I have had soft eggs many times before. Hope this helps!
frow.gif

I also have been having soft eggs since one of my hens was killed by a hungry coyote. There are 2 hens now so, I'm sure stress is part of it. I'm giving them kelp and greens. I think Yoghurt is next on the menu- great idea~ I need to bring some more girls in.
I'll also look for some of the Leverstim and something like Fertical.
Has anyone used the molasses tonic recommended in Storey's?

Such a good discussion.
Cheers,
Jana

All I know is that this bird was a great layer and she is only three years old so I think that she should still be laying, she is also the head queen so to speak. She doesn't have any respiratory problems she acts perfectly normal now but her eggs are soft or no shell at all and she seams to be uncomfortable when she is getting ready to lay one of this eggs. She has free access to oyster and grit. I have brought in three new girls because I only have one other bird so I need additional layers. I am trying to find the Lewstrm here locally but it looks like i am going to have to order just in case it is a liver issue. She just seems not to be stressed because she acts so normal except for the egg issue.

Last edited:
All I know is that this bird was a great layer and she is only three years old so I think that she should still be laying, she is also the head queen so to speak. She doesn't have any respiratory problems she acts perfectly normal now but her eggs are soft or no shell at all and she seams to be uncomfortable when she is getting ready to lay one of this eggs. She has free access to oyster and grit. I have brought in three new girls because I only have one other bird so I need additional layers. I am trying to find the Lewstrm here locally but it looks like i am going to have to order just in case it is a liver issue. She just seems not to be stressed because she acts so normal except for the egg issue.

Lewerstim is just a good concoction of thiotic acid and the proper amount of B vitamins, calcium, to clean the liver, kidneys, and helps build the blood. Livers can get fatty due to stress/disease and not function their best. The ingredients in Lewerstim are lacking in most vitamin supplements. It is only to be used no more than 1x a week at 5ml per 1.5 gallons of water. Supplying oyster shell and grit is good but not all hens may be ingesting enough. Moult can stress a bird and cause soft shelled eggs / no egg production especially if birds go off feed for awhile during moult. lots of energy and nutrients are redirected to produce new feathers. Feeding habits can change at the onset of moult/pre-moult. This is why the best thing to do is supplement water/feed so they maintain the absorption of nutrients.

Calcibird, Calciboost, are a few supplements that both contain good levels of calcium and vitamin D3 which could assist your birds. Calcium gluconate has no D3. A,C,D,E,B, K vitamins are all important in addition to quality protein, so if you are giving scratch grains and they are eating more of that than layer crumbles/pellets, that can affect egg production too. Some people bump up protein levels by adding gamebird pellets, oats, treats such as no salt tuna or casein protein from milk a few times a week.

With those new layers you mentioned, did you keep them separate from your old layers for a good month before housing them together?

Last edited:
Micheal, sorry that i has taken me so long to respond to your post I have been ill for the last week with a migraine headache and the last thing that I wanted to do was sit in front of a lighted screen. Thanks so much for the info I do add a vitamin/mineral supplement to their water and have for some time now. It just seem to be linked to her illness that she had and maybe I have not given her enough time to mend inside. As far as my new one yes they are separated from the older ones as I want them at least close to the same size before combining them, they are still making baby sounds I figure probably another month before I let them be together. Again thanks for your post

Back
Top Bottom