teignch1cken

Chirping
Apr 2, 2019
i’m looking for suggestions and advice! Out of our five chickens, only one of them is consistently laying eggs with very soft shells. The top of the eggs are particularly soft with lots of little bumps on the point. Is there anything besides lack of calcium and too much salt intake that can cause this? She’s the only one with that problem. I’m not sure which hen exactly is having the issue but I think it’s our speckled Sussex who is a year and a few months old.

On the other hand, a few of the other girls are laying eggs with average shells but the membranes inside are so tough that in the process of trying to split the membrane, I get eggshell all in my cooking! Thoughts on this phenomenon? Our chickens eat organic grain and free range in our yard every day. Thanks in advance

i’m looking for suggestions and advice! Out of our five chickens, only one of them is consistently laying eggs with very soft shells. The top of the eggs are particularly soft with lots of little bumps on the point.
Our chickens eat organic grain and free range
in our yard every day. Thanks in advance
Is your organic grain a complete balanced poultry feed or just grain? Photo of the bag or link to the product?
Do you offer oyster shell free choice?
Photo of the eggs?

It's hard to know since it's only one hen that is laying the egg if it's nutritional deficiency or not. Other causes like shell gland defect, parasites, stress or history of respiratory disease impacts shell and egg quality.
If you can figure out which hen, you can try offering her extra calcium for 3-5 days to see if there is improvement. Look over your hens for lice/mites and consider getting a fecal float to rule out internal parasites as well.

D4A0BAA5-E730-4FF6-9CE6-EACFFCC7DCCC.jpeg
View attachment 1896148 Thanks, that’s really helpful. I have attached the nutrition information for their grain in the photo above. I can add egg pictures later. I know they have had lice in the past. I offer them a tub of diatomaceous earth for that but truthfully I haven’t monitored its effectiveness. I’ll try the fecal float and google what parasites I should be looking for.

Is your organic grain a complete balanced poultry feed or just grain? Photo of the bag or link to the product?
Do you offer oyster shell free choice?
Photo of the eggs?

It's hard to know since it's only one hen that is laying the egg if it's nutritional deficiency or not. Other causes like shell gland defect, parasites, stress or history of respiratory disease impacts shell and egg quality.
If you can figure out which hen, you can try offering her extra calcium for 3-5 days to see if there is improvement. Look over your hens for lice/mites and consider getting a fecal float to rule out internal parasites as well.

View attachment 1896147 View attachment 1896148 Thanks, that’s really helpful. I have attached the nutrition information for their grain in the photo above. I can add egg pictures later. I know they have had lice in the past. I offer them a tub of diatomaceous earth for that but truthfully I haven’t monitored its effectiveness. I’ll try the fecal float and google what parasites I should be looking for.
Where are you located in the world?
You are feeding a balanced poultry feed with plenty of calcium. Sometimes one may not absorb nutrients like they should and may need a boost of vitamins/calcium, but investigating other causes should be considered.

I'm having the same problem with a hen laying normal shelled eggs but with super strong membranes that are hard to break.I have 4 hens actively laying(all different breeds) , but its only happening with my Copper Maran, so I was wondering is this was a breed specific issue. All the other hens eggs are fine.

Back
Top Bottom