Soft eggshells (calcium deficiency?)

UKchooks

Songster
Nov 18, 2018
Hi, looking for some advice.

I currently have two hens - a 4-year-old Warren called Dot and a 1 1/2-year-old Light Sussex called Lily.

Dot lays 1-2 eggs per week and they have quite thin, brittle shells, which I'd just put down to age. But recently Lily, who lays almost daily, has produced a couple of soft-shelled eggs that have broken in the coop.

Lily's back end also looks a little scraggly and slightly soiled.

They have a diet of layers' pellets supplemented by a few treats (fruit/veg/mealworms), and a pot of mixed grit and oyster shell is always available to them, but since I got Lily neither of them seems to take much of it (before, when I had Dot's two sisters, they used to get through loads, particularly the oyster shell).

I've tried mixing some extra oyster shell in with their pellets in the feeder, but I still don't think they're eating it. Is there anything else I can do to help them? TYA!

If there is a calcium deficiency you could get some calcium pills or liquid calcium and put liquid in the water OR ground up pills and put on scrambled egg or mash. Try this for a week if eggs improve that was the problem if not check for other illnesses

Thanks. I will see if I can source some.

Lily's egg today was fine - it seems to be every couple of days rather than every day. Don't know if that makes a difference to the diagnosis?

Thanks. I will see if I can source some.

Lily's egg today was fine - it seems to be every couple of days rather than every day. Don't know if that makes a difference to the diagnosis?
I can't really diagnose her I have had 2 shell-less eggs out of my 13 chicken in the past 3 months but both mine were first eggs

Whenever I feed my girls kale they get thick shells. In fact I don’t feed them kale for long because I have a few who will get little clumps of calcium on their shells. Kale apparently has more calcium per serving that cows milk. It may be worth a try?

Some greens can actually inhibit calcium absorption. Anything high in oxalic acid can interfere with calcium absorption. Kale is moderate in oxalic acid, but in too high amounts could cause a problem.
I would offer grit and oyster shell in separate containers, rather than mixed together in one. That will make it easier for them to get which ever one they need. Sometimes mixing the oyster shell with ground up egg shells will make it more attractive/palatable to them. I save all my egg shells for this.
Have you ever wormed your birds or had a fecal done? That could be a reason for runny droppings/soiled vent feathers. Also could impact egg quality.

I don’t think I feed them kale enough to create such a problem and I do keep oyster shell available all the time. I’ve had two funky eggs in the last year and it was blazing hot at the time. Chickens are mysterious creatures sometimes 😄

If there is a calcium deficiency you could get some calcium pills or liquid calcium and put liquid in the water OR ground up pills and put on scrambled egg or mash. Try this for a week if eggs improve that was the problem if not check for other illnesses
Can you tell me what dosage you use. I purchased calcium petites and they are 400mg and contain 4.3mg of vitamin D3. How many days would I give this. I have one that has laid 2 soft shell eggs in a rom. One we had to remove the long soft shell hanging from her vent.

Can you tell me what dosage you use. I purchased calcium petites and they are 400mg and contain 4.3mg of vitamin D3. How many days would I give this. I have one that has laid 2 soft shell eggs in a rom. One we had to remove the long soft shell hanging from her vent.
I don't know exact dose, @Wyorp Rock might know, I would give 1 pill 2x daily until the eggs are normal.

Back
Top Bottom