Soft first egg?

Gdove419

Songster
Feb 28, 2018
Hi! So I'm kind of new to this whole chicken thing..but I'm finding it to be so much fun! I have 3 California whites who are 7 months old. All three of them are laying, so we get 2, usually 3, eggs per day. We also have several younger chickens, most of which are out in the coop and run now that it is spring. Two are Svarthonas, and they are 14 weeks at most, and I just integrated 4 more chicks, 8 weeks old, into the mix, a Wyandotte and three Easter eggers. I've raised all of them since they were 2 weeks or less, and they are all pretty tame and friendly. So today we had 4 eggs! We had already collected 3 from the white chickens, and around dusk, I heard some commotion and what sounded like the "chicken song"! So when we went to look, there was one more egg out there, not in one of the nest boxes but sitting in the hay. And it has a very soft shell. So I'm assuming it came from one of the Svarthonas, but they seem so young to be laying. I haven't found much info on this particular breed..is anyone familiar with them? Thanks!

Some hens will lay early some later, 14 wks is too early but not impossible. It could be also from one of your CW, having a fluke 2nd egg, happened o some of my layers sometime especially before a year old.

Thanks! I did wonder about the second egg possibility too. The whites were outside the run most of the day and had not been back in the coop yet, but it could be possible. The Svarthona was acting a little funny, making funny noises and chasing the babies out of the coop, so that's why I figured it was hers. I'll just have to wait and see what happens this week! :pop

How long have the white been laying?
No too unusual to have a softie once in awhile from new layers.
The stress of adding more birds can affect laying too.

How long have the white been laying?
No too unusual to have a softie once in awhile from new layers.
The stress of adding more birds can affect laying too.
The whites have been laying since the end of January, beginning of February. They had all laid an egg already yesterday. I’m thinking one of the svarthonas may be a little older than I think. The man I got them from had so many. I thought they were only a week apart but one is much bigger than the other. I was thinking it was a rooster. Maybe it was just older than I thought.

Back
Top Bottom