Soft mostly empty crop green poo

Cedarhillhomestead

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2021
Hey everyone,

The longer story: I have a large hen that has been trying to go broody for two- three weeks. She removed the feathers from her belly and will not leave the nesting box. She isn’t laying and everytime I take her out she runs back in. She’s barely eating and drinking and it’s been confusing because she does this even when I remove the eggs.

To the chase: I put her out today and locked the coop. She foraged a little but wouldn’t eat the worms with everyone else. Her poops are dark green but they are very firm. Not at all runny or mucousy. She’s very warm but that could be from roosting in her nest. Her crop is mostly empty and squishy. No sour sneak to her breath. No visible worms in poo and I just did a float test.

I’ve read things about “wasting” but she hasn’t dropped much weight, eyes still look normal. She definitely acts broody, growling and pecking when anyone comes near her.
Any ideas? Or am I overreacting?

Sounds like a broody. I would place her inside a wire dog crate with food and water, on the ground with no bedding. This will break her broody spell. Leave her there for 3-5 days. When she comes out, if she eventually runs back to a nest box, stick her back for 2 more days. If you want her to sit on eggs, the eggs should be marked with the date and placed under her all on the same day.

It sounds like time for a broody breaker. Do you have room in your coop for a dog crate that you can put her in, with food and water? Pull out the bottom tray so air can cool her belly.

Back
Top Bottom