Soft navels on hatched chicks-should I take them out of the incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by awesomefowl, Feb 25, 2011.

1. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

To continue this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=456612
    I helped the other chicks hatch. But now their navels are a bit open, not closed like the Silkhorn was. What should I do? Should I put them under the heat lamp? If i take the hatched chicks out of the 'bator and put them under the heat lamp to dry and fluff up will their navels close up?
    Their navels arn't very bloody or anything, but aren't really closed up. Otherwise, the chicks are fine, flopping around in the incubator just like any other newborn chick. [​IMG]
    Anyone???? Thank you so much!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. awesomefowl

I did a search on BYC to find an answer: do you think I should put antiseptic on it so it will dry up? What kind of antiseptic, if so? Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. awesomefowl

Anyone for tennis?

4. Ireallyreallywantchickens

Ireallyreallywantchickens New Egg

Feb 22, 2011
    Hello,
    I am brand new here, so I have no idea. I just wanted to let you know that I hope you figure it out!!!

Tonja

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I can't help you with that. I'd probably leave them alone and hope for the best, but I just don't know. Hopefully someone with experience with that will notice your question.

According to this site, the reason for bloody navels is that the incubator temperature is too high. Something to consider for your next hatch.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/aa204

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  6. awesomefowl

The chick whose navel wouldn't close died. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Thanks for the suggestion, but the incubator temp wasn't too high. It may have gotten a bit low though.
    I have one more chick, whose navel I'm hoping will close up [​IMG] , and the two in the brooder.
    Well, life happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by