Soft shell eggs

Thank you so much for your reply.
I purchased calcium citrate with D3 and have been giving 1 tablet once daily for 4 days now. I watched Peyton pass an egg- yellow and white- with NO shell last night. I suspected this had happened a couple of times before, but by the time I saw the egg, the other hens and Peyton were already eating it. And I didn’t know if one had run off with the shell.
I checked her vent immediately for any obvious abnormalities and saw none. She is eating and drinking. She has been chilling in the coop more often, but she REALLY HATES my two roosters taking advantage of her since she is their favorite. She has seemed more quiet, but not sitting ruffled, no sneezing, no nasal or ocular discharge, no diarrhea or bloody stool.
she is only 3.
What might be going on? I assume this is very serious. I can afford to take her to the vet, but is there anything I should try to do at home first? I have access to some antibiotics.
Thank you

@Peytonandpancakes Interesting.. i had the soft shell issue w my new layer, gave her the calcium citrate 2 days ago, and it fixed the egg issue. yesterday and today she had perfect eggs. She also stopped pecking the other chickens eggs. I wonder if there might be something else going on with yours?

This is very concerning that the calcium citrate has had no effect so far. The problem is probably in the shell gland, and her calcium reserves could be extremely low. This has consequences for all of her organs, not just her eggs.

Check the feed label and make sure the feed contains manganese and phosphorus. There are some diseases that can cause shell-less eggs, but you would probably be seeing symptoms.

What type of feed do you recommend?
I will buy it.
I wonder if I can do something for her shell gland. 🤔
Im not sure what others would recommend, but i use nutrena feather fixer plus free oystershell with calcium on the side. The feather fixer is higher protein and has additional nutrients to help molting to speed up and also harden shells.

Also, today i dissolved the calcium citrate with about 1 tsp of water, then sopped it up with a small piece of bread. My new layer ate it up quickly, and we got the third daily egg in a row, nice hard shell.

Back
Top Bottom