Soft shell turkeys eggs. ?/?/?

Jesz

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 24, 2012
Scott La
I purchased a pair of 7 month old black and a pair of 2 year old Bourbon reds last week. The black hen was laying eggs, I assumed she wouldn't in a new home. To my suprise she laid 3 eggs and the last one was soft shell egg. What do I feed her or what medicine do I give her to stop this? I know it maybe stress, a change in her diet or her new home and she needs to adjust.

Also, we buildt them a coop and they refuse to go in it. Do I need to put them in there for a couple days so they know this is their new home?

Any tips and tricks is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Just like chickens, when turkeys start to lay eggs, they might occasionally lay a couple of soft shells. Don't worry about it, just put out some crushed oyster shell in a small pale or bowl where she can get to it if she needs the calcium. It happens and is normal. If it continues, let us know and we'll try to help further.
hugs.gif

I have giant white hens, one started laying at 5 months old. She has laid 6 eggs, all soft shells. Even though I thought it was too early to lay ( my other types were not laying) I started giving them oyster shell. She's still laying all soft eggs. This has me stumped. Any ideas as to why.? All other giant white hens have normal eggs..

I have giant white hens, one started laying at 5 months old. She has laid 6 eggs, all soft shells. Even though I thought it was too early to lay ( my other types were not laying) I started giving them oyster shell. She's still laying all soft eggs. This has me stumped. Any ideas as to why.? All other giant white hens have normal eggs..
Are you feeding them layer feed?

Some hens require more calcium than others. If you are providing free choice oyster shell, she may not be eating any. If she is not in with any males, you can get a liquid calcium supplement that you can mix in her drinking water. That would be the quickest method to get her calcium levels up but you should make sure that this treated water is not available to any male poultry.

Good luck.

I feed all my birds specialty flock booster.28% protein..she's eating the oyster shell,I've seen her at the dish. I also give them lots of treats twice a week high in calcium (my girls). She just seem to lay funny. Last week she had a regular size soft egg with a soft small hooked to it..she's laying a bit harder shell eggs now, but there still not hard like they should be, then again she's only 5/6 months old..hatched 4/5/17. Shocked me to see them laying so young..

When a bird lays an egg with a soft shell, it means that they aren't getting enough calcium. get oyster shells or provide them with eggshells themselves. I know that helped with mine. :)

Back
Top Bottom