Soft torn egg

If that's only the third egg she's laid, she's probably just working out the kinks. I found a membrane-only egg and a no-shell egg when my pullets were just starting to lay.
I see egg on her fluff... did yours have any contents?

I’m sure that if the OP has Oyster for them, then they’re probably on Layer feed. I believe that this hen laid a soft shelled egg only because she’s a new layer, and it’s actually fairly common
Ohhh I was sooo afraid of this happening:(

One of our RIR laid soft eggs a couple of times, and usually dropped them from the roost. Now, beautiful normal eggs. Don’t stress.

Easy for me to say because all’s well now. I was a little worried initially but knew these things are common when a pullet is just getting started with the whole egg thing. I should have said try not to stress, she’ll sense that too, and be more stressed. Watch her for eating, drinking, pooping, normal activity. If she wants to sit in a nest box I’d let her sit in a nest box. Their intuition is better than ours.

Sounds like a soft shelled egg broke before the hen (pullet)
was able to expel it. This happened to my hen Joy this summer. I found an eggshell hanging from her vent and like you said, egg contents elsewhere. Is she acting lethargic? Tail drooping? How is she acting? If she is acting lethargic I would go ahead and bring her to a vet if possible. She may have egg contents and shell still inside of her, and if left for an extended amount of time those contents can harden (quickly) blocking her intestines and in Joy’s case, her airways. Is she pooping? If so, that’s a good sign, if it contains a yellow or whitish/clearish substance than that means there is egg contents stuck inside, in which case bringing her to a vet can really save her life. To prevent EYP your vet will try and extract any egg contents, which is something you can do yourself (I’d link an article but I’ll edit my post in a moment) or have the vet do (I’d have the vet do it because you can also take an X-ray, this helped me and my vet figure out that my hen’s airways were blocked) and they probably will give you an antibiotic which you will have to give her once-twice a day. If you don’t think that your hen has any egg contents inside of her than I would continue to watch her.

Soft shelled eggs are actually common with new layers. It’s nothing to be worried about, in fact there are lots of strange types of eggs your hen may lay, and none of it is your fault. If you say they are on Oyster then I wouldn’t worry about calcium deficiency. :thumbsup
I feel like I am not very good at this :( how do I get her calcium fast?

Please don't panic. No need for it, and it's not productive. We'll help.

Give her one calcium citrate with vitamin D3 supplement. Not all layers absorb calcium as well as they should from layer feed or oyster shell since calcium carbonate is the least easily absorbed forms. The calcium is in the people vitamin aisle.

It will help expel any lingering egg remains that could still be inside her. You will know if this may be the case if there's fluid coming from her vent and she is squatting and straining to expel whatever is left. She will also be lethargic and in pain, tail held low and flat.

If it appears she still has broken egg inside her she'll need an oral antibiotic to stop the bacterial infection that almost always grows in broken egg yolk. You will know this is necessary if she is exhibiting the signs I listed.

One of our RIR laid soft eggs a couple of times, and usually dropped them from the roost. Now, beautiful normal eggs. Don’t stress.
I’m trying :( I have already lost 2 to mereks. I am really trying so hard to make sure they are healthy and happy. She is in her nesting box pumping her tail.... ???

Please don't panic. No need for it, and it's not productive. We'll help.

Give her one calcium citrate with vitamin D3 supplement. Not all layers absorb calcium as well as they should from layer feed or oyster shell since calcium carbonate is the least easily absorbed forms. The calcium is in the people vitamin aisle.

It will help expel any lingering egg remains that could still be inside her. You will know if this may be the case if there's fluid coming from her vent and she is squatting and straining to expel whatever is left. She will also be lethargic and in pain, tail held low and flat.

If it appears she still has broken egg inside her she'll need an oral antibiotic to stop the bacterial infection that almost always grows in broken egg yolk. You will know this is necessary if she is exhibiting the signs I listed.
Thank you! How much calcium? Will tumms work?

I feel like I am not very good at this :( how do I get her calcium fast?
see @azygous post. Your doing good right now with the oyster shell and (I’m assuming they’re on layer feed but if not hurry and switch them!) clearly want the best for your girls. I know a vet is not always an option so I’m hoping that maybe for you it is- but that’s not to say your treatments at home will work any less. Joy survived and she had THREE soft shellers break! (She is 3years old no one knows what happened- don’t worry it won’t happen to yours!)

Back
Top Bottom