Soft torn egg

It's always best, for lots of reasons, to confine your patient to a crate so you can more closely monitor her and give her the meds she needs. And be sure to give her plenty of water because she's losing it instead of absorbing it.

If you sent someone out to buy calcium, call them and have them pick up calcium citrate with D3. It's much better than Tums and more easily absorbed. It's in the vitamin aisle at Walmart.

Place your hen on a nice thick towel to absorb the fluids she's expelling. What happens in a lot of these cases where egg material blocks off, even partially, the common duct where eggs and poop share the road, is the cecum is shut down. That's where the water she drinks that isn't used in the intestine gets distributed to the rest of her body's tissues, so it comes out the poop hole instead. Also, no cecal poop is produced during the blockage. When you see a nice smelly cecal poop again, that's a sign the blockage has probably cleared.
I am so glad you explained this. I gave her tumms and put her in tub and massaged her for 20 minutes. I gave her cipro and she is in a kennel inside. I can feel fluid in her abdomen but the last time she pooped it was black and less liquid. I’m not sure if that’s good or bad?

That might posibly be lash egg material from an oviduct infection, but hard to know without seeing. Did it look like a collapsed egg membrane?
No it just looked like goop. It’s consultancy was thick like elmers glue and just barely pink.

Can you photograph these poops? We need to see them. Words don't conjure up the same images in other people as they would for you. Also, note the smell. We need to know if and when she passes cecals. You are familiar with cecal poop? It is the dark chocolate pudding poop that smells very, very awful, even though that is completely normal.

If that's only the third egg she's laid, she's probably just working out the kinks. I found a membrane-only egg and a no-shell egg when my pullets were just starting to lay.
Did she
Can you photograph these poops? We need to see them. Words don't conjure up the same images in other people as they would for you. Also, note the smell. We need to know if and when she passes cecals. You are familiar with cecal poop? It is the dark chocolate pudding poop that smells very, very awful, even though that is completely normal.
ohhh that may be what it is. The poop is almost black. It shot out at a hundred miles an hour with about a cup of fluid. I have her in the dark right now and settled. Hopefully I will have poops in the morning. I will take a pic when we get up. She ate like a maniac at bed time so hopefully that’s a good sign

Well everyone... here is the guilty culprit! She is feeling better and ready to go play with her friends! Thank you to all that helped me!!!!

Attachments

• 7C3A4B9A-E45A-4E17-AC4A-2D62C05EBDA3.jpeg
    7C3A4B9A-E45A-4E17-AC4A-2D62C05EBDA3.jpeg
    417.6 KB · Views: 2
The picture in post 46 does look like it could be lash egg material mixed with egg yolk. Lash eggs are a sign of salpingitis, a common inflammation of the oviduct. Sometimes the material comes out while it can be laid inside the abdomen. I had seen quite a few of these in chickens who were necropsied. Since you are giving antibiotics I would continue them. Here is a good article or two:
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/disease-guide/salpingitis

https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/

The picture in post 46 does look like it could be lash egg material mixed with egg yolk. Lash eggs are a sign of salpingitis, a common inflammation of the oviduct. Sometimes the material comes out while it can be laid inside the abdomen. I had seen quite a few of these in chickens who were necropsied. Since you are giving antibiotics I would continue them. Here is a good article or two:
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/disease-guide/salpingitis

https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/
Hmmmm. I Read both. My chickens are pets and my little fluffy friends. I will keep an eye on her and keep her on the cipro. I bought the calcium with vitamin d and switched her to layer. I hope this was a fluke thing. She is my biggest hardiest chicken. I will take her to the vet if I can’t manage her symptoms. I think with everyone’s help here I can do it :)

Back
Top Bottom