1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

solar chicken coop light needed!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by IVYFARM-CSA, Jan 15, 2016.

1. IVYFARM-CSA

IVYFARM-CSA New Egg

Dec 22, 2015
    Falkville Alabama
    So I am looking to supplement our girls with artificial light during the winter months in order to still get a few eggs and am wanting to put a light in the coop, only problem is the coop is a little distance from the house so running an extension cord out there would be a pain,so I'm curious if their is anything solar powered ones that have a built in timer so I can control when it comes on and goes off? Thanks in advance.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I answered this subject before so here it is again. Get a light like pix and link posted and install into your coop. It is $25. Turn it on when evening comes. It will not burn all night long, but rather until batteries run out. Getting a solar powered timer may not come at a reasonable price. I'm sure there are some, but I am not able to help with it. I'm a pragmatist, so always looking for easiest solution.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/solar-shed-light-62549.html

[​IMG]
    WISHING YOU BEST AND [​IMG]

3. IVYFARM-CSA

IVYFARM-CSA New Egg

Dec 22, 2015
    Falkville Alabama
    Thanks for the info! Im just wanting something that won't stay on all night as I don't want to stress the chickens from to much light, I might just try tinkering around and building something myself

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by