Solar Electric Fencing / Predator Proofing

Fire-Chicken

Songster
11 Years
Apr 17, 2012
South Florida
Does anyone have any insight and/or suggestion about solar electric fencing or electric poly wire for chicken coops? Type, size, voltage, brand, cost?

How about any other protective measure?

I have a 'stilt' coop with a free run pen underneath. The dimensions of the pen is 3' high, 4' wide, and 8' long. It is caged with 1/4" welded wire, including on the bottom to deter digging critters.

I just had all 4 of my chickens killed and eaten by something (I'm in south Florida). The varmint tore the welded wire fencing from a screw/fender washer, screwed into 2x4 pressure-treated wood. It pulled the top-left corner down about half way and entered the coop, pulled out each bird, one by one, and ate them. I am thinking it was a family of raccoons, due to the fact the fencing was pulled, instead of pushed in, like a bear, bobcat, or panther would.

Any input would be AWSOME!

Thanks in advance!
Fire-chicken

OldGuy43,

Thanks so much for the information. You're information was right on. I, too, have bit of an electrical background. I also picked up some great tips.

Unfortunately, my coop is quite far from the house, for a/c voltage, and I was hoping to use something solar (with the possibility of a battery back-up). Do you have any suggestions for the brand, type, and size? I will wrap the coop with 4 to 5 strands / levels to effectively cover it.

Thanks again!
Fire-chicken

OldGuy43,

Thanks so much for the information. You're information was right on. I, too, have bit of an electrical background. I also picked up some great tips.

Unfortunately, my coop is quite far from the house, for a/c voltage, and I was hoping to use something solar (with the possibility of a battery back-up). Do you have any suggestions for the brand, type, and size? I will wrap the coop with 4 to 5 strands / levels to effectively cover it.

Thanks again!
Fire-chicken

To anyone with inquisitive minds...

I successfully bought an electric fence system for my coop, to keep bears, raccoons, and bobcats out. I bought it from Zareba Systems. They are a VERY VERY AWSOME company to deal with. I highly recommend them. It cost me a total of $100 to fence the coop.

The fence is rated for 20 acres. My coop is about 25 yards from the house, and I have about 75 feet of wire wrapped, 2 wraps near the bottom and one near the top. The fence system will wallop you with one hell of an electrical punch ( it's rated for bulls and cows).

In conclusion, anyone with problems with predators entering your coop (fully enclosed or not), this is the way to go. Just don't forget to disconnect the fence, at the switch, before entering to collect the days' harvest. Otherwise, you'll receive one hell of a reminder!

Good luck! Any questions, please feel free to ask me.

Fire-chicken
South Sunny Florida

Back
Top Bottom