Solar powered lights?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Moselle, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Moselle

Moselle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Has anyone successfully used those little outdoor solar lights to give their coop area a bit more light at night? I'm thinking just a few lights around the area would help during those dark winter evenings when we need to check on them. We don't have electricity access anywhere near the coop.

2. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Ive tried a few models, all have been to dim to really be effective...IMHO....

3. RoostersCrow

RoostersCrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Those solar path lights... pooh!

You could set up a 12V solar charger and deep cycle to power some 12V lighting, perhaps with a remote control...

4. AK-Bird-brain

AK-Bird-brain I gots Duckies!

May 7, 2007
    Sterling, Alaska
    thats too bad. i've been thinking of using them in our new coop.

5. mangled

mangled Chillin' With My Peeps

We have a solar powered dusk to dawn light up on the side of our coop. Bought it at Lowe's last year for about $119.00. We had it up on the side of the kid's playgym, and moved it to the new coop.

It is motion activated, and has a light area of about 15' around. It works well above and beyond what we ever expected. The light stays on for only a few minutes, but if you're out moving around and it blinks out on you, it comes right back on.

I wish I remembered the brand. It has never given us any trouble, and comes on even when one of the strays is slinking through.

Em

6. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    The solar shed lights work well. They have an independent solar panel and battery setup.

7. Moselle

Moselle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Thanks - I might look into the shed light and motion activated one. A little pricey, but maybe worth it.

8. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by