GardeNerd

Crowing
14 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Southern California
My Coop
My Coop
Hi,

We got our chick shipment a day late yesterday from the hatchery. It was a group order with a variety. They spent 4 days in transit, stuck with the P.O. so it was not the Hatcheries fault. The hatchery sent extra chicks. We did have some losses due to the delay. I will be calling the hatchery about the ones that died in transit I am debating whether or not to place an additional order rather than take a credit so they we reship the ones that died. It would be 25 chicks total. They will only automatically reship if the majority of the order didn't make it okay.

Last edited:
I will call the hatchery tomorrow and find out if and when they can reship, rather than give me a credit. That way, the other folks who didn't get all their chicks can get theirs still. I guess I could order as early as tomorrow. I'm not sure how long it would be before they could ship. Last time we had about a month wait, but it could be more or less than that. I really don't know how long until i actually place the order. I just know the other folks I ordered with don't want to wait too much longer, since we have already been waiting since early January. I could tell the hatchery I want a credit temporary, then order in a few days.

If you are interested get back to me. They just don't ship the bantam or the crested breeds with the standard size breeds. They added a $1.50 charge for any breed we got less than 5 of so keep that in mind when looking. All the chicks in the order would be vaccinated for Merek's disease.

Last edited:
I'm after Buckeyes and Buff Orpingtons.

But I'm 'way out in rural Riverside and, due to work, wouldn't be able to come and get them until the weekend - and I can't next weekend, either, because I have plans that can't be changed. After that, any weekend would work.

If you wouldn't mind babysitting (and not for free), I would love to order.

I need 6 Buckeyes (I think they only come straight run) and 20 Buff Orpingtons (which should, in theory, give me about 10 hens).

I don't want to order myself because I can't get to the post office before it closes and it's snowing here.

Do they also vaccinate for Coxidea?

They did not have a vaccination for Coxidea listed when I last checked. Is that an issue? We've started our new chicks off on medicated starter mash. The hatchery didn't offer the vac. for Coccidiosis in the wet months.

If you are looking for pullets in the BO, that's all we ordered last time. You could order maybe 12 or 13 and be pretty sure to get the 10 of hens you need. Or are you figuring the 20 in case of tragedies like diseases or predators? They guarantee 90% accuracy on the sexing.

The babysitting thing would be fine and we could work it out, as long as it isn't for more than a few days.
I doubt they would come as quick as next weekend. I will check and see what an expected ship date would be before ordering. What the website says is available and when, doesn't jive with what's actually available.

I will be away from the computer until later this evening. I'll check back later.

Last edited:
I do want the extra roos.

And I'll pick up some medicated chick feed - there is coccidea in my ground; my puppies once got it from the ground water after a rain.

The baby sitting wouldn't be any longer than Saturday morning - I really, really want them! And I don't want to miss out on the little peepers!

I don't want to order any roos with our other BOs we're having to replace. In the city, we can't legally keep the roos and they could get mixed in with the pullets. We had chicks that looked similar marked in the box previously. Those chicks had the hardest time in shipping because they were a red target to get picked on. We had 3 of the 7 die. I'm not going to get any marked chicks this time around. In addition, I would like to keep our reorder to about 25 total. We will be replacing 9 so I will have room for another 16 or so.

Last edited:
ok, then.....

I still need the six Buckeyes.

And will happily take the rest in Buff Orpington pullets to fill out the order - 10, I think? And likely one will have a visit from the sex change fairy, anyway.
smile.png

Or one of yours will have a visit and turn into a boy - and then maybe we can trade later?

I just spoke with customer service at the hatchert. They were very understanding and are going to replace the chicks regardless of whether or not we "fill out the order." They would put in packing peanut chicks if necessary to keep the box warm. We are going to just get the replacement chicks and keep it simple after all. This way we can get the chicks reshipped right away. Adding to the order with other breeds would delay it.

Thanks and sorry to get your hopes up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom