Solstice affecting egg laying

Cyprus

Master of the 'never give up' attitude
Jan 19, 2018
My Coop
My Coop
I have 12 hens, 10 who actively were laying by fall. Come our first snowfall at the end of November and everyone immediately stops, including the Leghorns. I haven't had an egg from them in well over a month. We have had a super mild winter, almost no snow.
Funny thing is, immediately following the winter solstice, I've gotten 1 egg a day even from my poorest layers. Days have only increased in daylight length by one minute a day.
Have my chickens picked up on this and started laying again because of it? Nothing in weather pattern has changed except for daylight length.

TIA,
Cyprus

Same here and maturity. I do believe they pick up on it. I have even had some sunny days as well as increased length which made very happy chickens. Now I just wish all my birds were in lay.

Hens are very sensitive to day length. The mere fact that the days are now becoming longer by a scant minute every day can make a big difference in triggering those laying hormones.

I'm patiently waiting for my crew to discover this.

My 2 layers had reduced to 1 eg each ever 3 days. The day after the solstice, I got 2 eggs and have every day since.
I'm hoping this will also help my littles to start laying soon.

Less than a minute a day here, so far.
But supposedly they can detect that slight increase.
Some of my hens have(some started back up before the Solstice),
some haven't(including pullets) despite supplemental lighting(maybe that's screwing them up?)
Frustrating for sure, but pretty soon we'll all be swimming in eggs!

Back
Top Bottom