Solutions for a hens puffy body please

Grenadianexpat

Songster
13 Years
Feb 5, 2010
Grenada W.I.
I have a free range yard fowl which because of the tree cover I only spotted yesterday, which was breathing in a very laboured and rattly way. As the day progressed the breaths got shorter, and I figured I would find a dead bird this morning.
I had her isolated, and gave her feed, and water which was dosed with Grapefruit seed extract. I know on humans the GSE works as a non toxic natural antibiotic. I even used it successfully on my aged wife when her covid cough started to show signs of infection.
This morning much to my surprise the bird was still alive minus the phlegmy rattle and looking more perky. I picked her up to see whether she could be relocated and her lower chest was quite soft and spongy as if there was gas or fluid there.
I am sure a long time ago I read that drawing off the fluid with a syringe was an option, but my searches to date have not given any results I can use, so hence the fresh question.
Any ideas please.

She sounds like she has a crop yeast infection. That is treated with an anti-yeast med. Sounds like you're well away from towns and cities, so you will need to find a natural herb that can clobber yeast, but won't poison the hen.

Here is a study of biologicals that can thwart yeast, oil of oregano and garlic being a few that are not toxic to chickens. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5422888/ Whatever you select to try, you need to research it for toxicity to poultry or you could end up killing the poor girl.

If you can find copper sulfate, that can be added to the drinking water and it can kill yeast over several days of the hen drinking it. It would be very important to get the proportions correct and be sure there are no crystals left undesolved as those can be very toxic. Usually a bit of apple cider vinegar is mixed in to acidify it.

She sounds like she has a crop yeast infection. That is treated with an anti-yeast med. Sounds like you're well away from towns and cities, so you will need to find a natural herb that can clobber yeast, but won't poison the hen.

Here is a study of biologicals that can thwart yeast, oil of oregano and garlic being a few that are not toxic to chickens. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5422888/ Whatever you select to try, you need to research it for toxicity to poultry or you could end up killing the poor girl.

If you can find copper sulfate, that can be added to the drinking water and it can kill yeast over several days of the hen drinking it. It would be very important to get the proportions correct and be sure there are no crystals left undesolved as those can be very toxic. Usually a bit of apple cider vinegar is mixed in to acidify it.
Thanks, I'll check out the link, but to clarify it was not her crop that was puffy, I've had a chicken with crop problems a good while back, and tried encouraging vomiting of the crop bound lady with fluids to loosen it up etc. But this puffiness is down closer to the legs, like its the main body that is a bit like a soft balloon. Actually mentioning the ACV made me think of adding a drop of Manuka Honey as well.

Then it may be liver disease if the swelling is just in front of the legs and between them. If her legs are being pushed apart by the swelling, it's ascites, fluid buildup in the outer tissues. There is no cure.

Hmmm, Not good. Legs not pushed apart, so maybe liver, I guess it's a give her some jollop, and see if she improves, or not as the case maybe.

Watch his space....

You can try to withdraw fluid from the lower abdomen with an 18 gauge needle with or without a syringe inserted just under the skin into the abdominal cavity to confirm ascites or relieve pressure and pain. Ascites fluid is yellow to amber. Is the abdomen between her legs tight, full, or spongy? Ascites can be a symptom of cancer, liver disease, or reproductive disorders, such as egg yolk peritonitis. There is no cure, and draining fluid could lead to infection or even death in some cases. Here in post 42 are good pictures of draining a hen with a needle:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/laying-hens-with-water-belly-or-ascites.68731/page-5

A little follow up.

The chicken seems to be recovered. No breathing difficulties from around 3 or 4 days after noticing the problem, and it seems not to be swollen or ill in any other way.

I gave it via it's drinking water initially Grapefruit seed extract, and then after a day or so added Manuka honey and apple cider vinegar.

I have released it from it's isolation, with purple spray on it's tail to be able to identify it for a while to come.

Thanks for all the input. Not sure what it was, but it all seems better now.

Back
Top Bottom