Solving a Hawk Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tricia's Triple Z

In the Brooder
12 Years
Dec 7, 2007
I have been having a hawk problem. It was here before and chased a hen into the coop, actually flying into it. I was at the door when it flew out. It must have sunk it's claws in or pecked it because it died a few days later. No signs of blood though. It was here again today, I didn't even get them all out of the coop before the Guineas went crazy with their "hawk call". It zeroed in on a smaller hen but ended up 2 feet from me, close enough that I could have hit it with a bat...IF I had one. No losses today. It has been at least 1-2 weeks since the last visit. I also am thankful to my Guineas for without them there would definately be a loss. I do not want to sacrifice one of them either for their protection. This is a very bold hawk. Also, NOT a Red Tail, maybe a BroadWing...my dad calls it a piegon hawk.
Is there ANYTHING that hawks are afraid of (besides my 20 gauge)? I hate to not to let them free range. Sorry to go on and on. I'm open to suggestions!!

Attracting other birds can help, mocking birds and crows will chase the hawks and pester them so much they leave. You can also get fake owls and stuff. The thing that works for me is running fishing line across my backyard and hanging CDs from the lines randomly. The CD reflecting light seems to mess with the hawk and if the swoop down they hit the fishing line. They learn pretty quick your yard is off limits.

Quote:
You could provide lots of hiding places. If a rare hawk shows up my hens run like mad and hide under some large branching evergreen shrubs in my yard that have a little bit of space underneath. Not saying this would guarantee their safety but if they have no where to hide it makes it easier for the hawk to reach them.

Its sounds like a sharp shin hawk, they are very bold and ive seen them land on the ground and chase squirrels, even a chicken one time, of course when the chicken turned around and rushed the hawk it flew away never to be seen again. They are a bit smaller than red tails and bigger than a cooper hawk.. sharp shin's may not have an easy time with full grown large fowl, but they will take bantams with ease..

He may have found a better place to hunt that you havent seen him...just be careful it may be back...

Charlie

Last edited:
Quote:
LOL, 20 gauge doesn't kick as bad. Its the waiting for him is the hardest....I don't want to:mad: leave my chickens as bait..

The hiding place suggestion was good ~ I have seen inexpensive ones made from pallets or crates. You can scatter a few of these around open areas ~ just make sure the hens can run underneath easily, and your hawk cannot reach them if it strikes the top. We made an A-frame style one for the yard, with both ends open.

Just out of curiosity ~ what color/breed are your chickens? Do you have any white ones? I have often wondered if light-colored birds are more likely targets for airborne predators.

Good luck!

I know that Hawks and owls can be a problem to poultry. And while I am a poultry raizer I do also try to do my best to abide by the law. That said I would very much like to encourage all of you to use prevention when ever possible. Cover a pen, monitor your birds when out, and I am sure there are many good ideas out there.Maybe even encourage kestrils or screech owls by building a box. They cant eat chickens and may drive off the other bigger bires of prey. Birds of prey are almost never as abundant as raccoons and other pests. They also do us great service by eating many animals we consider to be pests. Not to mention they are great to watch. Their populations are rarely ever affected in a positive way by man kind, unlike the raccoon. I myself would much rather have a hawk or an owl hunting the mice and rats around my farm than the neighbors dog or cat.

I agree with Mikesfarmer and there is probably a hawk attack happening out in the field as I type.
Our chicks have learned to listen to the wild song birds' alarms. Its amazing to watch the chicks, just like they've had drills at the whole process of diving and hiding.
It's a frustrating situation...but let's hope someone "invents a better Mouse/hawk trap." In the meantime prevention and surveilence!
cool.png
barnie.gif
cool.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom