Solving Dog Aggression Problems? Please help! She may be euthanized!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chickenfan4life, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Please help. For almost a year, now, Sophie, a Dachshund, has been living outside because she nearly killed Penny, our Schnauzer mix. Those twohate each other, and it's getting harder and harder to keepSophie from getting out of the pen while Penny is outside doing her business.

As a last resort, my dad is thinking of getting Sophie euthanized, since she can't get along with any of the dogs. (She fights with any dog).

PLEASE HELP!

2. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    This is a situation that needs a hands-on approach. But a few easy suggestions:
    First, is she fixed? Whatabout the other dog? Is she aggressive to all dogs or only ?
    How much training have you done with her and how was she socialized as a puppy? Is she getting enough exercise?
    Same sex aggression it's one of the most common problems in a lot of breed. Dachshunds are a working hunting breed and they need exercise, training, and a job to do.
    If your dad doesn't want to pay to have her evaluated, st least look into rescue. They may be willing to take her and find her a gone where she can be an only dog.
    Putting her outside in s Penn if only going to make the problem worse - in a dog's mind, being away from the pack is a death sentence. Yet her enemy is accepted so she is trying to fight to get back her place in the pack.

3. Scott H

Scott H Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Twin Lakes, ID
    My Coop
    We had a little dog that would bite PEOPLE when they came into our yard. The next time he acted aggressive at all I put a muzzle on him. I did that each time he did act aggressive and he slowly decided it was better not to act that way.
    I would get a good muzzle and put it on your dog and let him/her live in the house. Muzzle off only to eat and drink. That should take some steam out of her/him. Separating is not a fix She needs to learn that's not acceptable behavior.

4. Chickenfan4life

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    I think we should go with spaying them and using a muzzle, but my darn parents think that separating them solves the problem. [​IMG]

5. fowl farm

fowl farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2012
    This may sound harsh, but here goes! Even if they don't like each other, you are boss and Sophie shouldn't be trying to kill Penny. You may decide not to keep both of them but there are steps you can take to make life much more pleasant.

1) Never let Sophie go through a door before you! As crazy as it sounds, it will improve your relationship, set you as top dog, and make it easier to break up her and Penny. Don't let her leave her kennel until you say so either. I've found grabbing the dogs nose and pushing them back gives you more control and gets through to them quicker.

2) Take her for walks regularly! Daily! If you are confident enough with both dogs on leash, take Penny. That way they are moving as a pack.

3) What provoked the attack? Possession of a toy? Food? Whatever it was, control it! Only let her have it when she's obedient and supervise. I still can't let my dogs eat alone if their food is in the dish (can't wait until they're fixed!)

4) Tether Sophia to you. Keep her with you at all times and randomly give commands, making her obey. I give my dogs two tries and then force them into what ever position on the third command ( push their bum on the ground, etc.) If Sophia is tethered to you, she can't get into trouble and you can quickly correct any aggression towards Penny.

Keep in mind when breaking up a fight (if you have too) pulling a dog backwards, away from the other dog, will cause more trouble as backing up is submitting. If you can, pull both back, just out of biting range of each other, and hold them until they calm. DO NOT let them go if they are standing and be absolutely positive both dogs are calm. If you get wound up and start yelling at them to "BREAK IT UP!", it will make it worse. Stay calm!

Do the same with Penny, minus step 4 (unless you want to).

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  6. fowl farm

fowl farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2012
    Keeping two un-spayed females is going to cause problems. It's possible, but it will take more work. If you aren't planning on breeding, and you can convince your parents to do it, get them spayed!

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Rehome her. If Sophie is a purebred dachshund, then contact the Dachshund Club of America and ask to be put in touch with their dachshund rescue. Someone who knows dachshunds well will foster her and evaluate her and get her into a safe home that can deal properly with her personality issues.

If 2 bitches decide they don't like each other, sometimes they will hold a grudge forever. It can be impossible to resolve the issue and it isn't the best solution to make one of them live outside full time.

8. Chickenfan4life

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    I don't have any authority and my parents think that the problem is solved by simply putting her outside. I would love nothing more than to lecture them using everything you guys have told me. Grr. Mom and Dad are so stubborn! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] Why don't they agree with training a dog and being alpha.

9. hollyclyff

hollyclyff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    NC
    This is what we had to do with our golden. We had the same problem. We had a trainer come to our house to evaluate the situation and it was his suggestion as well. He told us if it were two males, we would have a better chance of resolving the conflict, but with a female that has decided another female is her mortal enemy, the chances of never having another fight were slim. And since the first one nearly ended the life of the smaller dog, we couldn't take that chance. The golden now lives with a nice family as an only dog. We were entirely upfront with the golden rescue group about the issue and they found her an appropriate new home very quickly. We contacted rescue rather than try to rehome her ourselves because we felt they were better equipped to evaluate the dog and the potential new home, they already have a waiting list of adopters, and because their contract requires the new owners to return her to them if they ever can't keep her. We wanted that safety net for her. We miss her enormously, but felt it was more fair to her and our other dog. They can both live fully with their families without danger and nobody had to be euthanized.

10. Chickenfan4life

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Good news! Mom and Dad have actually been working on trying to find Sophie a new home, and, we may have found the perfect home for her. A young couple, with lots of love, no dogs, no intention of having any other dogs, and lots of time to devote to her, have offered to foster her. :D
    Things may work out after all!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by