Some advice, please

MichaelSellers

In the Brooder
5 Years
Feb 7, 2014
I just received four 4-week-old chicks from McMurray. They seem to have survived the trip to NY okay. I put them into their outdoor coop (which is pretty small) with their food, water, night light and a ceramic heat emitter bulb. They drank water and ate some food and seem lively but a couple are huddled in a corner looking cold. Temp in the coop is 72. Temp outside is 44 and pouring rain. These are my first chickens. Are they outside too early? I hadn't planned on having them inside since temps are usually 45 at night and 60 during the day, and we have two cats. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks. Here is a pic from this morning.

Last edited:
They might be too cold. I know at 4 weeks they are supposed to be cold tolerant, but it might not hurt to place them somewhere a bit warmer.

I took a closer look, and I think your chicks might be younger, as they don't look too feathered out. I'm still thinking it's too chilly.

I've been told that once they start to really feather out they can be put in cooler temps....but I don't know how exact temps, etc.

It needs to be at least 90 in there! No offense, but they arent going to make it in 72

If the chicks *are* 4 weeks of age, 90 would be rather high.

That being said, OP, let your chicks guide you - are they showing signs of distress in the temperature they are at? Do you have additional heat you can add w/out having to move them inside? Is there a room you can close off from the cats if you do need to move them in?

My baby chicks are aprox. 5-6 wks old and they have been on chick starter, which looks like powder really, the whole time. Can I give them some bird seed, with sunflower seeds in it? I have given them some seedless grapes cut up, some cantaloupe, watermelon all cut up. They love it. Seems they need something more then that powder stuff. I did buy some mealworms treats, and they loved them, going to get some more but out right now. They look forward to them every morning now. Can I give them some scratch feed or is that too big? One of my little ones seems to have cocci also, can I put the Corid in the water for all of them since I don't want to separate them? I will be mixing it in a quart automatic waterer daily. Have 3 EEs and 3 Cinnamon Queens and 1 Bantam (her mother and sister were killed by a predator, but she escaped). That's why I got the other 6 to go with her so she wouldn't be lonely, and now she seems to be fluffed up and not as active now, been like that for about a week. Kept thinking that she would get over it and get well by herself, but am starting to think she's not and maybe I should give her the Corid. Don't want to wait too long in case she may get worse. Don't want her to die. She is getting around and all that and still eating but she was used to getting out in the yard with her mother and forriiging in the yard for about 2 or 3 wks before I had to rescue her and put her up. Seems like they are not getting enough with just that powder stuff. Can you help?

Yes, I did have some of the kind that was crumbles, I liked it better, but they've eaten that all up and now I've started on the new bag I got with the new chicks. It's the powder and I don't like it. I didn't know that's what it was or I wouldn't have gotten it. I thought it was all the same. I know better now. I am giving them the electrolyte water and have been all along every day, so that should take care of the vitamins. Just seems like they need something else with the powder that would seem more filling and something they could actually crunch along with that. Don't know. Maybe they wouldn't eat the powder if I introduced something else. I wouldn't!! lol

Back
Top Bottom