Some appear sick and dying, others are fine? 3 dead so far

louchicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 5, 2011
I have 14 babies well they are not quite babies anymore they are going on four months. We used to have 18. It has been a very cold winter here and when the first one or two died I thought it was from the cold. (they died in theyre sleep) But now another one has died and there are two others that look puffed up. They are also somewhat skinny.

They are all eating and drinking fine, poops are fine. I do not think it is worms but I was thinking of worming them anyways since I am at a loss. I also have corrid. should I dose them all with corrid instead? I am really stumped as to what it could be ... we have four seasons here and I thought that worms were not a problem in the winter.

The other chickens all look fine right now and my 11 adults are doing great.

oh and before the latest one died it looked like it was holding its wings out funny. I thought perhaps he had been mated by one of the others and hurt a bit **the boys are starting to get friskey**

A little history I got these birds when they were two months old from someone who was feeding them medicated feed. I continued with that and mixed in grower until they are now being fed just grower. Maybe some are reacting to the different cocci bacteria in the bedding here I have no idea at all and much appreciate the help of this woderful forum!

what would you do??

They are in the same coop but I have it separated in two so they can't get at each other. I trust my roo but I don't take any chances. ANy ideas??

I'm not pro but I'd do a thorough cleaning of water and feed dishes, roosts, etc. Look at the legs and under-parts for mites, etc. See if maybe there's spider bites. Give them some yogurt, and some ground alfalfa (to help them retain body heat) and corn.

Not sure. Maybe somebody more knowledgeable?

You might consider giving them hard boiled egg yolks and nor do I think it could be worms at that age so I wouldn't worm them since these medications will take it's toll on them and could very well be more harmful than helpful! You could also try as mentioned before yogurt with mash. I would also try pumpkin their seeds, garlic clove in a gallon of water and do a little research to see what you come up with! Good luck!

Sometimes the cocci is a different strain than what the meicated feed will cure so in addition to all above you might consider picking up a bottle of Corid or Sulmet and give as directed.

Last edited:
thanks all. I regularly give them garlic mashed up in rice. I am fresh out of plain yogurt but they get some of that too and anything else we have scraps of.

I have some corrid, I bought some when I first got chickens "just in case". I should do just the babies right seeing as the adults are not sick. I think I just answered my own question lol.

I'm glad I can rule out worms. I will give them some corrid tomorrow. 1 tspn per gallon, correct?

that is what I was thinking about the cocci too.. weird that only some are ill. Does cocci cause chickens to be underweight? Again I have seen no bloody poops at all and everyone has good appetite. My last little guy to pass on was off for two days then seemed to be making a good come around and passed away in the night. breaks my heart .

Good luck with them! Maybe I don't know enough about chickens and can't figure out how ones so young would get worms so early unless they are free ranging and or something in their pen/ coop had had them before! I were under the impression from the state avain vet that they norally do not get them unless free ranging for a while. Is it possible for them to be from the egg?

Quote:
No they would have to get it from the ground, not passed on in an egg. as far as I know!

I've stareted them on amprol. Everyone seems just fine today besides two of them being puffed up. they are eating and drinking just fine. I have hope that this goes away, whatever it is.

Back
Top Bottom