some bad luck

choopes

Songster
13 Years
Nov 4, 2010
my farm South Alabama
I raised a crop from chicks I bought from Ideal. I wound up with 3 hens. CooCoo Moran, and 3 roos all white Brahma. The hens are laying good so I tried to incubate and hatch some. Out of 20 eggs, only 5 hatched. Out of the 5, 2 have club feet. What am I doing wrong?

I will let you know who makes the incubator when I get home and look. Its white styrofoam like a ice chest. Hand turned 3 times a day. A mercury thermometer marked at the correct temp. I'll check when I get home to let you know what that temp is. I have installed a small fan in it to circulate the air. The tray for water was kept with water, but no real way to monitor. Maybe because the parents are young. Maybe not to many fertilized eggs. Is there a known cause of clubbed feet?
I killed off 2 roos. 2 left. I am waiting to see who is less aggressive. The one attacks my lower leg if i don't watch him, but it's hard to tell the 2 apart!

Next time you are out there carry a can of spray paint (livestock or regular) and when he attacks do a quick spurt on his back so you know which it is. It won't hurt him.

Did you make the incubator? Also, did you open up the ones that didn't hatch?

Mine is made by Miller. I think its a little giant still air, only I added a computer fan, to help move the air. I ran at 99.5-100. as close as i could. There was one time i asked my daughter to turn for me, and water had run dry by the next turning. i have used this same set up to hatch with in the past. But it's been a couple of years. I hatched 50 chicks with this once! I put a mark on the thermometer and try to maintain that same temp.
Does anyone know what causes a club foot? Is there a fix?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom