some gender/breed questions...

katrinabadina

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 1, 2011
All these guys/gals are just over 6 months old. We got our first egg today and I think it was from this one, the orange one. I guess it was from this one, Boise, because of a feather that was stuck to the egg. She (?), we is a farmyard blend, possibly a wynadotte mix? Can you see the feathers on her legs?

The black one, Kuro, in the above picture is the same as chick as the one below, also a farmyard blend. She's so fat I think she's gotta be a hen right? Note the greenish sheen? What breed might that indicate?

Next up (below) we have Rainbow, I was told she was a blue laced red Wynadotte...she is a she right? Below. Sorry, she's the most skittish so I don't have a good shot of her at this 6 month age

below is her again at about 4 months

And my last chick, is the one I am worried about. I think (s)he is a Rhode Island Red and I'm really hoping Pirate Red is a female. Here is the 6 month shots:

sorry no great shot of her tail.
Please help me with gender and breeds. I love you guys.

both in the 1st pic are pullets. 2nd pic both pullets, that green sheen is on almost every black breed. 3rd is black laced gold not blrw, its hard to tell without a side shot but my guess would be pullet right now with the pics you have. 4th looks like a pullet but i cant see the saddle area. if any were cockerels i would suspect bigger combs and wattles on them

oh yea the black ones might have eaither jg or ba in them

Last edited:
thanks, that's what we are hoping as we can't have any roos in our area.
Fingers crossed others agree.
In this picture you can see the legs of both the RIR and the wynadotte, if it helps, though it is them at 4 months

the orange one may be a brahma or easter egger mix, guessing from her pea comb. the feathered legs make me lean towards brahma though.

i don't see any cockerels.

Last edited:
The first hen is a mutt, a buff Brahma mix. With what, I'm not sure. I seriously doubt EE as she has no muffs.

Second bird is either a Australorp or Jersey Giant. Check the bottoms of her feet. If they're white/pink, she's an Australorp. Yellow, Giant.

She's not a BLR, but she is a Gold laced Wyandotte. When you breed BLR's, you'll get blue, black, and splash laced unless you're breeding a splash roo to black hens or the other way around.

Last bird is a hatchery quality RIR.

I'd say all birds are female.

I think your RIR is your layer, not your brahma mix, by the way. The RIR is the only one with really red comb and wattles indicating that the others are not of laying age yet. Your "BLR" has pretty double lacing, so I would think she is not a BLR, but they DO come in three color phases. Blue, BLACK, and splash. It is possible (but unlikely) she is a poor quality BLRW (mine are all hatchery, and the three youngest are all very orange rather than red, though your girl looks even more orange than mine, BUT my black phase looks very much the color of yours).

I think you're right. The eggs have migrated from being laid willy-nilly to in the nestbox and I've only ever seen the RIR in there.
Problem solved! the RIR is a hen and she's our layer.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom