Some kind of rocks?

jnine

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 19, 2009
The Great South East
I just bought these two chicks - we think they are about 12 weeks of age (and hopefully hens).

The black one looks like it is part barred rock, the other a little like a partridge rock - but with a rose comb.

Does anyone have any other thoughts? I know it's a bit hard to tell from the photo's but do they look like they are girls? There are no telltale saddle feathers I can see.

cheers
big_smile.png

IMG_4730.jpg

IMG_4731.jpg

IMG_4719.jpg

Last edited:
The first one looks like a pure barred rock. The secon one looks like it has welsummer and barred rock. Maybe some easter eggger

Thanks everyone. The old owner was reluctant to part with them as they are so pretty and unusual looking - but she knew they were going to a good home
smile.png

Congrats on the new additions Jnine...and take Speckledhen's word about the one being a BR. If anybody around here would know, it would definitely be her, the undisputed Queen of Barred Rocks!
wink.png
big_smile.png

For what its worth, I think they very likely could both be crosses. The first female only seems to have one copy of the barring gene. For it to be pure BR, it would have two copies. The barring just looking incomplete to me.

Dustin, I have an older hatchery BR who has "faded out" barring in places, so could be that is a pure Rock, just poor quality barring. Then again, it certainly could be a cross since I have a BR over Ameraucana hen who has really nice barring for a cross. Since BR males pass barring to all their offspring, could be a cross with another single breed, but my money is on BR with so-so barring.

Back
Top Bottom