Some questions about redesigning my coop.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Penlady66, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Penlady66

Penlady66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    Shinnston, WV
    As mentioned in another thread, I am planning on doing some upgrading to my coop and run. I want to remove the old nest boxes and replace them with new ones. Is there anything I need to do to ensure the girls won't be too confused about the change and know what the new boxes are for? I have a few ideas for plans, but just want to make sure the girls transition to the new boxes OK. These are my current boxes:

[​IMG]

I am trying to make more floor space for when I introduce the new chicks later this year. So here is the design I want to go with.

[​IMG]

Basically, if I make this change, will the girls know that these are there for them to lay in?

2. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    They will figure it out.

3. Penlady66

Penlady66 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    Shinnston, WV
    I do not want to bother my husband with building new nest boxes. When I mentioned to him I wanted new ones he got his feelings hurt because he built the others. :( So I bought these today and I am going to see if I can get my dad to come help me install them after they come in. Not sure if he can, though, since he recently had knee replacement surgery. But I will find someone. What do you think of these boxes.

[​IMG]

4. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    :thumbsup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by