Some questions about roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ameracauna-momma, Sep 15, 2008.

1. ameracauna-momma

ameracauna-momma Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2008
    Litchfield, CT
    I never had a rooster before, and have some questions. First, he hatched mid April as a "hen", but no crowing yet. Could he be mute?? I hope so because I think my neighbor will kill me... Second... Someone told me I have to separate him from the ladies if I intend to eat the eggs. Is this true?
    Thanks
    Amanda

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Doubt he's mute. He'll crow soon enough. No, you do not have to seperate him. Fertile eggs taste the same and obviously, are edible.

Welcome to BYC.

3. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    ok...from my knowledge....roos cant be mute [​IMG] but we all wish they were [​IMG]

and you can eat fertile eggs....just make sure u collect the eggs EVERY day or theyre become fertile! [​IMG] that would be a nighmare [​IMG]

4. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    are you positive it's a roo? some hens exhibit roo behavior. You should post a pic to be sure [​IMG] . I have roos that hatched May 30 and they never shut up.
    Krista

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    There is absolutely no difference in the taste or nutritional value in either fertile or unfertile eggs.

Gather your eggs everyday so that none are incubated, and there is no reason to seperate the rooster from the hens.

6. ameracauna-momma

ameracauna-momma Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2008
    Litchfield, CT
    (s)He's Much taller, different body style, tail plumage is all waterfall like, and i think he's mating? with a hen. they dug a hole together today and were rolling around in a very smitten way...

7. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    My roos were crowing by 2 months and won't be quite. Right now they start at 5am...couple hours before the sun comes up!

8. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    They were probably dusting themselves..

Is it jumping on the others backs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by