Somebody a idea?

myduckduckie

Chirping
Dec 3, 2022
He sometimes (mostly when somebody is leaving the house) pulls his neck in and walks sideways to them and when they move he screams and then runs a random direction with his neck stretched and head close to the ground (hes not scared of people he is very dominant to everything and everybody except 3 people and me who he lives with) it doesnt bother me or him i think Just curious why

Who is "he"? A duck. A goose. A rooster?

Is English your second language by some chance? Your syntax is not easily understandable. Perhaps come back and try again and try to describe this bird better, beginning with what species it is.

It's not bad English. Just keep trying. Between you and us, we'll manage.

How old is he? He sounds young and maybe just getting his hormones. Does he have access to any female ducks?
There are 4 indian runner ducks by the little lake in front of our house but he doesnt even look at them. He does try to mate with me he then grabs my hand or arm en tries to push it down.
(Extra information: he is a inside duck around 6 months old)

Yes, it does sound like your duck is coming into his hormones, and he's confused and thinks you are a good substitute for a girl friend. This is common when ducks and chickens mature and experience their mating hormones for the first time.

He's trying to dominate you. It might be a good idea to start disciplining him to show that you are dominant, not him. Since he isn't interested in learning how to behave like a proper duck by associating with other ducks, it's up to you to teach him.

Somehow, you must show him that his behavior is not the correct way to behave with a human by stopping the behavior when he does it. Restraint is usually how we discipline poultry when their hormones cause them to be confused. He'll get the idea if you are consistent and stop permitting this behavior.

Others will likely suggest getting him a girlfriend of his own species, but that will cause trouble if you don't discipline him and train him in proper behavior around humans first. Without discipline, a female duck may cause him to think of you as his rival, and his behavior could get worse unless you discipline him.

The head to the ground neck extended running is threatening to run the recipient of the behavior off the property. I have two meanie pekin drakes that chase away one of my muscovy drakes using that action.

The whole behavior you describe does sound, as azygous said, like hormonal aggression. I have a muscovy drake [not the one chased off by the pekins] that gets very aggressive with me -- he attacks my feet and lower legs when he is in a bad mood. I put a dog crate in the garden near my house and when the muscovy comes to attack me, I pick him up and put him in the dog crate for 2 or 3 minutes [longer unnecesary]. He comes out chastened and well behaved until he is next in a mood and attacking my feet when he is back into the dogcrate!

Can you use this sort of discipline with your boy?

Yes, it does sound like your duck is coming into his hormones, and he's confused and thinks you are a good substitute for a girl friend. This is common when ducks and chickens mature and experience their mating hormones for the first time.

He's trying to dominate you. It might be a good idea to start disciplining him to show that you are dominant, not him. Since he isn't interested in learning how to behave like a proper duck by associating with other ducks, it's up to you to teach him.

Somehow, you must show him that his behavior is not the correct way to behave with a human by stopping the behavior when he does it. Restraint is usually how we discipline poultry when their hormones cause them to be confused. He'll get the idea if you are consistent and stop permitting this behavior.

Others will likely suggest getting him a girlfriend of his own species, but that will cause trouble if you don't discipline him and train him in proper behavior around humans first. Without discipline, a female duck may cause him to think of you as his rival, and his behavior could get worse unless you discipline him.
Thanks for the information

The head to the ground neck extended running is threatening to run the recipient of the behavior off the property. I have two meanie pekin drakes that chase away one of my muscovy drakes using that action.

The whole behavior you describe does sound, as azygous said, like hormonal aggression. I have a muscovy drake [not the one chased off by the pekins] that gets very aggressive with me -- he attacks my feet and lower legs when he is in a bad mood. I put a dog crate in the garden near my house and when the muscovy comes to attack me, I pick him up and put him in the dog crate for 2 or 3 minutes [longer unnecesary]. He comes out chastened and well behaved until he is next in a mood and attacking my feet when he is back into the dogcrate!

Can you use this sort of discipline with your boy?
Yes i can try that. He never has seen consequences for his actions. But he aint gonna hate me when i put him in a Cage?

Back
Top Bottom