Somebody tie me down!

joebryant

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 28, 2008
SW of Greenwood, INDIANA
Next time I incubate eggs, once the hatching begins will somebody please tie me down or knock me out. I've been told by MissPrissy and others on here to keep my #$&^ hands off and stay out of the incubator's process and DON'T OPEN THE $^&*& THING. Also, don't just read the directions, FOLLOW them. I could've had a dozen chicks, but I ended up with six because of my worrying ... take control ... mushy "thinking"!

Last edited:
I agree!
Miss Prissy's advice of not opening the bator as you approach hatch is the most important thing to have a successful hatch.
Fortunately we stuck to our guns from day 18 to when the chicks were dry and had no problems with stuck chicks at all.
Good luck on your next hatch!
Carolyn

Quote:
Been there and done that. Some of us don't take the advice and learn
by doing.
sad.png
Don't be too hard on yourself, just cut off your fingers next
time you hit day 18.
tongue.png

Quote:
Thanks, Bawgock, next time I'll accept the fact that the chicks "might" hurt themselves crawling all over those eggshells and eggs. I'm just not going to watch at all until the 22nd day, i.e., what happens in the incubator, stays in the incubator. Oh, bull, I KONW I CAN'T DO THAT!
Sounded good though.
I need a plan! Maybe I should leave town.

Quote:
Been there and done that. Some of us don't take the advice and learn
by doing.
sad.png
Don't be too hard on yourself, just cut off your fingers next
time you hit day 18.
tongue.png

Cut off my fingers!?
Well, alright, but wouldn't it be better to let Anne break them; then we'd all be happy, especially Anne.

yuckyuck.gif

You're going to do great without cutting off any body parts!
We call it keeping the bator in "lock down"!
When we had chicks picking on a newly hatched chick (which makes us want to open and rescue) we tapped the lid which distracted them and also noticed they stayed calmer when the lights in the room were turned low.
Best of luck on your next hatch!

Carolyn

I for the first time have stuck tight to the "Don't open the FREAKIN incubator" rule, and for the first time I have 11 chicks hatched and 12 pips.
bun.gif

I'm telling you, I had to leave my house...I know it's so hard. I stand in front of my bator, flash light in tow, with my nose plastered to the glass. You have to GET OUT OF YOUR HOUSE!!!!

Quote:
Well, now you know the "rules" and can hopefully follow them
smile.png
Maybe you should schedule an out of town business meeting or quick weekend away.. starting day 18!

Back
Top Bottom