Someone care to talk me through the broom handle method?

Its super easy, I did it a couple days ago.

1) Put birds head on a hard surface.
2) Put broom stick over neck.
3) Place one foot on broom stick.
4) As you pull up on both legs put other foot on broomstick.
5) Let go once you have snapped neck.
6) Watch it flop around on the ground a bit (because its dead).
7) Stop being disturbed by its flopping when flopping has ceased and bleed it out.

Quote:
I do the broomstick for chickens but never heard of it for rabbits. Great ideal.
thumbsup.gif

As far as a turkey it does sound like a 2 person job.

Rabbits are even easier, we did one today. Pull on the haunches and bend the neck back with your hand. Its a little more intimate but you don't need the leverage of a broomstick like you would a turkey.

Quote:
Two main problems with chopping the head clean off - firstly, it's actually illegal in the UK! Secondly, I want to hang the birds for a week prior to gutting so I need the skin in tact for this. If you dislocate efficiently, there is enough space in the neck cavity for blood to pool - so they bleed out, into the neck.

As it happens, I've caught a break. A guy that I met through freecycle has offered to do the deed for me. He's going to come here and dispatch them all with this method (he's been doing this kinda thing since he was a child). It'll mean that a) there's no chance of me screwing it up; and b) it'll be a real learning experience and likely be easier for my meat chickens too!
smile.png

Thanks for all your help guys!

We use the broomstick method to cull our chickens...
When we do it they die right away.. no pain or suffering. Or i would NOT do it.
The trick is to be SURE when you give the final yank...dont hesitate, just do it HARD and quick.
The axe is the next best option.... but be SURE you have a sharp axe and that it can go through the neck the FIRST hit....
I've seen too many people have to take several hits with an axe to finish off the bird, and its not pretty.

Hmmm, now there is an interesting point, and now quietly I'm feeling a little worried. Looks like I better check up on my local laws before I plan on doing any more! It never occured to me that some ways might be illegal in certain countries (Australia).

Quote:
I do the broomstick for chickens but never heard of it for rabbits. Great ideal.
thumbsup.gif

As far as a turkey it does sound like a 2 person job.

Rabbits are even easier, we did one today. Pull on the haunches and bend the neck back with your hand. Its a little more intimate but you don't need the leverage of a broomstick like you would a turkey.

we just shoot ours in the head.. I have broomsticked rabbits before.. but I prefer the shooting method

Quote:
yeah.. i've seen that firsthand.. my mother always used an axe.. my job was to hold the head down while she swung the axe (I think she had it out for me!).. anyway I know there were lots of times when she was culling tough old stewing hens or old mean roosters and the first cut didn't do the job.. in retrospect.. I'm glad she had good aim!

ever try to hold down a rooster head when it's still kicking and flopping around on the chopping block.. slipping and sliding around in a puddle of blood while a crazy German woman is swinging an axe at ya?...
trust me.. when you're starting this at 3 years of age it really leaves an impression on ya!
(yup.. at 3 years old I had to start with the butchering and gutting of birds... my mom believed kids needed to earn their keep)

Back
Top Bottom