Someone dumped 42 chicks so I rescued them.

Jeremey1000

Chirping
Nov 9, 2018
I'm going to attempt to keep this as short as possible to start. We have 9 hens currently. I was taking my daughter to work and at the bottom of our hill was 42 chicks spread all over the road. My guess is they were right around 4 weeks old. Someone obviously dumped them and it was only minutes from a large storm letting loose on us. I called my wife and she came down on the 4 wheeler with a large crate to collect them in. Fast foward about 2 hours and a rain storm later, we caught them all and brought them home. I went up to the local rual king just 2 minutes away to get some chick feed and noticed brand new chicks in every bin and they said they just got them in a few hours ago.... (coincidence?). So fast foward again I'm guessing they are at around 7 weeks old and we are trying to determine what breed/sex they are. We were thinking they were possibly cinnamon queens but really aren't sure. We have also notice that the crowns and waddles are coming in at about the same rate minus a few. So I'm hoping that it's just my lack of knowledge in this area and that I don't actually have over 30 roosters but that's my guess at the moment. Any help at all will be appreciated so much. I have some not so great quality pics of them when we first got them that I can add. I also took some new ones just now which was much harder than I thought it would be because they all wanted to either be on me or to peck at my phone when I would try to line up a shot 😂 (one pic is and example for laughs).

Attachments

• 20220526_155655.jpg
    20220526_155655.jpg
    787.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 20220526_155056.jpg
    20220526_155056.jpg
    801.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20220526_155120.jpg
    20220526_155120.jpg
    348 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220526_155413.jpg
    20220526_155413.jpg
    784.4 KB · Views: 13
  • FB_IMG_1653593845203.jpg
    FB_IMG_1653593845203.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 13
I'm going to attempt to keep this as short as possible to start. We have 9 hens currently. I was taking my daughter to work and at the bottom of our hill was 42 chicks spread all over the road. My guess is they were right around 4 weeks old. Someone obviously dumped them and it was only minutes from a large storm letting loose on us. I called my wife and she came down on the 4 wheeler with a large crate to collect them in. Fast foward about 2 hours and a rain storm later, we caught them all and brought them home. I went up to the local rual king just 2 minutes away to get some chick feed and noticed brand new chicks in every bin and they said they just got them in a few hours ago.... (coincidence?). So fast foward again I'm guessing they are at around 7 weeks old and we are trying to determine what breed/sex they are. We were thinking they were possibly cinnamon queens but really aren't sure. We have also notice that the crowns and waddles are coming in at about the same rate minus a few. So I'm hoping that it's just my lack of knowledge in this area and that I don't actually have over 30 roosters but that's my guess at the moment. Any help at all will be appreciated so much. I have some not so great quality pics of them when we first got them that I can add. I also took some new ones just now which was much harder than I thought it would be because they all wanted to either be on me or to peck at my phone when I would try to line up a shot 😂 (one pic is and example for laughs).
Oh gosh, that’s horrible! They look like they are mostly Cinnamon Queens.

Who does that? That's awful! Bless you for taking them!! Can you ask the store where they source? My feed store tells me.... You should draft up an invoice for feed at some point and send it to whomever dumped them!! I don't see cockerels in your photos. Just maybe's... It'll be interesting in a few more weeks. They look healthy at any rate. Quite the unreal story. You're awesome.

I have a few green eggers and an olive egger who look like your chicks, from what I can tell in those photos. And from the breast/wing color I suspect you have a few roosters. At 4 weeks my pullets and roos that match yours in coloration all have the same-ish looking comb. Better pics would help.

Blessing to you for rescuing those chicks! I'm so glad you were able to help them - they could have just ended up as someone's tasty snack. I can't say enough heated things about whoever dumped them like that.

Back
Top Bottom