Someone help please! [MEGA FOOT PROBLEMS]

Adams1

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2022
Welp here’s me, a first time chicken owner who has absolutely zero idea, yet trying my very best… this is my 18 week old still not laying eggs BTW). She is much smaller than the rest and has always been quite skinny I’ve been quite concerned about her so the research I’ve done tells me she should be fine? We have our small flock on the scratch and pack feed, (in photo below.) she is a speckled Sussex so it could just be her coloring? she has developed weird reddish brown purpleish black dark patches on her legs.. nothing on the bottom of her feet though so not BF I don’t think it’s scaly like mites as to the touch it’s flat? no it does look like there could be some inflammation on one of her legs? chickens naturally walk quite weird but she is obviously hopping when she runs you can tell it is not comfortable to walk, though she hasn’t lost her will to walk her legs started developing this I want to say about a month ago and, The limp only about 5ish days. I’ve scanned her entire body for mites but she is again awkwardly skinny? Does anyone know what this is I’m not sure if this is normal her coloring some form of disease or if I just have a new chick and mom syndrome here..I am willing to consult a vet as a last resort but would try and avoid that as much as possible! (I believe she is otherwise healthy?) if anyone knows what this is how to treat it, or has any suggestions please let me know!!!!
AA9E18E2-0FA0-4FE7-9D15-4354963E65BF.jpeg
0643DA79-7BE1-4887-9319-045353BB11C8.jpeg
52A24722-8970-472F-AED7-0714A1FCE04F.jpeg

Last edited:
our hens when on the perch have a tendency to peck at each others feet when trying to get the best spot in the coop at night. Ive watched it many times. maybe when they head to the coop. (as of this week around 7:00 to 7:15) you can see whose doing what.

Had to check but she does not register on the scale so I’m gonna have to get a kitchen scale..
I use a fish scale. It sounds awful, but I put my chickens in a cloth grocery bag and hang the bag from the scale. They don't seem to mind as long as I make it quick.

You *might* be able to weigh a crate or a pet carrier on your current scale. Then put her in it and note the difference.

Have you felt the leg for injuries, swelling, etc? She may have injured it jumping down from a high spot or something similar. Her legs look normal to me.
I'm assuming you have checked the bottoms of her feet to ensure no issues are there to cause limping?
yeah definitely checked her feet no thorns and it’s definitely not BF I felt her entire leg even up beyond the feathers and her foot nothing seems broken but it does look like a little bit of swelling she probably fell off something or jumped off something too high, I tried to wrap it up like a little makeshift splint and pad on the bottom of her foot but she got rid of that right away, she can still walk fine just when she runs so I’m assuming it will go away soon if not, like 1-1 1/2 weeks then I’m gonna get her to the vet, thx for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom