Someone please help me!! I am freaking out!!

shelbear81

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 16, 2012
Northeast, PA
ok all!! Got my eggs in the mail tonight, so will set first thing in the morning!! I am so nervous and excited to start my first hatch... Have some question for my "hatching buddies" that have done this a few times...

1. I candled the eggs when I got them and there was a "bubble" that floated to the top no matter which way I turned it... is that a bad thing?

2. Should I do anything different because of question 1?

3. I am letting them set on the counter untill tomorrow morning, should I start them with the egg turner off for a period of time?

4. if the answer to 3 is yes, how long?

5. What should the humidity be?? I did research and everything I have read says 34% to 42% till day 18... is that right?

6. Will tomorrow be day 1 or like a preday 1?? because I don't wanna put em in lockdown too soon.... so will the 29th be day 18 or the 30th?

7. Last, but not least... What the heck was I thinking getting myself into this!?!

I am sorry for all the question but I feel like I am going crazy!! Who knew I would be this crazy nervous over chickens....
OH right, my DH!!! LOL

I have posted these questions a couple places because I am desperate for help!! I just don't know what to do...
ReplyQuote Multi
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/posts/add/threadId/686558/editorType/basic

ok all!! Got my eggs in the mail tonight, so will set first thing in the morning!! I am so nervous and excited to start my first hatch... Have some question for my "hatching buddies" that have done this a few times...

1. I candled the eggs when I got them and there was a "bubble" that floated to the top no matter which way I turned it... is that a bad thing?

2. Should I do anything different because of question 1?

3. I am letting them set on the counter untill tomorrow morning, should I start them with the egg turner off for a period of time?

4. if the answer to 3 is yes, how long?

5. What should the humidity be?? I did research and everything I have read says 34% to 42% till day 18... is that right?

6. Will tomorrow be day 1 or like a preday 1?? because I don't wanna put em in lockdown too soon.... so will the 29th be day 18 or the 30th?

7. Last, but not least... What the heck was I thinking getting myself into this!?!

I am sorry for all the question but I feel like I am going crazy!! Who knew I would be this crazy nervous over chickens....
OH right, my DH!!! LOL

I have posted these questions a couple places because I am desperate for help!! I just don't know what to do...
ReplyQuote Multi
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/posts/add/threadId/686558/editorType/basic
That moving bubble is a detached aircell. The best thing to do with shipped eggs to to leave the turner off when you set them. Keep it off for at least 4 days, but a week isn't bad. I've hatched chicks from these aircells if I just let them sit still. Not always, but better than if I had turned them.

Humidity is kind by opinion and what has worked for others. I do mainly dry hatches. I don't let the humidity get too much over 30% or lower than 20%. You may need to try different methods until you find just the right combination for you. Keep some records of what you do and how your hatch goes and then do it again the next time. Once you start keeping track of any changes or what have you, you find the right way to work with your incubator, your climit, etc.

Good luck with your hatch.

Thank you for all your help... I set them this morning and will leave the turner off till this time next week... Hopefully a couple reattach!!
fl.gif

I got a shipped egg last year with an aircell floating around, it developed and hatched fine. I did leave them sit a couple days, but not because i knew to, i was waiting on more eggs to arrive.

Back
Top Bottom