Someone PLEASE talk to me about electric fence and kids!!!

Oh eyah,,, one thing lol, if you have a horse that loves to rub on you, never stand between him and the hot wire! I thought I'd glow for a week after he got done rubbing me up against the pulsing wire!

I would say, like others have said, just to make sure the fence box is noot stronger than you need. I was at my brother's house once, and he had I think a 10 mile range box on his pasture (nowhere near 10 miles!!) that was ran out if his bedroom window, and at an angle to the fence. I was walking with my son, who was barefoot, and didn't see it, and it hit me right on my left temple. It did knock me down (and I am not a small person), and I had a headache for a few days. but it was way too strong, and I hit it right near the box, maybe 50 ft. from it. Now that same little boy had hit the fence, although in a different spot, many times, and although he was very hyper at the time, I think this was normal.
wink.png

But like the others said, it will hurt, and most kids will learn to leave it alone. Also, my dad now has horses in an electric fence, and they are so used to it, that half the time it isn't even on. So if you wanted to unplug it while your little one is out, that should not be a problem. But I would still teach them not to touch it, or it will teach them for you!

Our dogs learned not the touch the fence quicker than our kids did. I still catch them out back daring each other to touch it.

We have the biggest we could find, 30 mile range and made for keeping bulls in the pasture. we wanted to make sure the bears dont get our birds.

the only thing i would worry about would be if someone has an un-diagnosed heart condition...but..congratulations on your new horse!...
wee.gif
..Wendy

i keep my horse at a boarding stable that uses hot wire and every now and then i get hit by the fence it does not hurt but boy does it scare the poop out of you

If the little one does get zapped, walk them back to the fence and hang a piece of bright cloth on it and say "ouch". Then you can put the same kind of cloth on other stuff they aren't supposed to get into!
big_smile.png
Just like getting burned, everyone has to go though it. Just sucks watching a little one go through the ordeal. Have an ice cream consolation ready...

Swamp

We have electric fence all around here. With many different cattle pastures and many different fencers. Both of my DDs have been raised around it and told not to touch it because it is hot and will hurt. There has never been an issue with either one. As for hurting them. I would say only if there is a medical condition, such as heart trouble. I was 7 or 8 months pregnant and accidentally touched a hot electric wire. No problems with me or DD.

Back
Top Bottom