Someone please tell me what is wrong with my chick!!!!!

tinners204

Songster
11 Years
Jul 12, 2008
Iowa
It is a Silkie chick about 2.5 months old. I went out to feed her and she was standing with her head between her legs and walking backwards. She sometimes raises her head but not for very long. Then she is back to putting her head between her legs and walking backwards. This is not the first time I have had this problem one other time a chick out of the same hatch did the same thing. I culled it thinking maybe it would not happen again. But it has. Does anyone know what it is or what I should do. I did not cull her yet. I have hatched 4 different batches of eggs and none of the other ones from different batches have ever done this. Could it be it is something that is only to do with them certain eggs I hatched.

Silkies will have this problem when they are hit on the head. Their brains are actually not covered by their skulls and they have a hole in the top of the head. There are several threads on this site that will help you deal with this. Sometimes if you isolate them in a warm, dry, dark place they will come back from this.

Some recommend steroid therapy and such. I had this happen to one of my babies a month or so back. I could not afford the medication and I do not have a doctor to write me a script.

I gave her minerals and vitamins, some yogurt and put her in the mud room in a small dog crate. To my amazement she came out of this fine and is back in the nursery with her Chickie mates.

Back
Top Bottom