1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Someone respond

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by VOX, Aug 10, 2011.

1. VOX

VOX Chillin' With My Peeps

Got a batch full of ducks hatching, one came out with blood comming from its bottom. only a small bit of blood, but umm w.t.f?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  2. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    That one hatched too early, and must have still had veins attached to the shell. If u can stop the bleeding he will be OK. [​IMG]

3. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

A picture would help. But this is what I can tell you. Just before chicks or ducks hatch, they absorb the yolk, but often times the hole where their "belly button" will be is not always closed up, and usually it is attached to the membrane sac by a "umbillcal cord". In most cases, this all goes normally, the yolk is totally absorbed and the cord snaps naturally. Unfortunately, sometimes this cord gets hung up on something and that opening in the belly is not all the way closed, and sometimes a chick can be disembowled. I don't think thats whats happening to your bird, so don't freak. I am just trying to inform you of the possible complications. So, is the bird bloody around the navel, or bleeding? Is the navel open, or is anything (besides a thin cord) hanging out? If you think anything serious is going on, put the baby in a box or tupperware that fits into the incubator, and line it with a paper towel. If the egg is still attached by the cord, leave it attached and put it in with the duckling. Isolating the baby minimizes problems like the "disembowlment" I talked about earlier. If the chick is already seperated from the egg shell, meaning the cord is broke, and as long as no insides are hanging outside, you may leave the chick alone and just observe.

4. VOX

hes not bleeding anymore, will he be ok?

5. RHRanch

yes, if the bleeding is stopped the navel should close up normally.

6. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    I would think so. Just isolate him overnight on paper towels under a heat lamp. He should be able to be put with the others tomorrow. [​IMG]

7. VOX

there is a little piece hanging out of his bottom, like a cord thing, will it fall off and be ok? hes not bleeding

8. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    It will fall off, basically like an umbillical cord

9. VOX

ok i put him in a paper towel. he seems to be ok, standing up and chirpping, moving and stuff

no bleeding, no insides hanging out, his bottom is a little open but not much, just where the cord is still in there a little.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  10. RHRanch

Quote:He should be fine. The opening will close up on its own. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by