Someone STOLE my ducklings!!

We had a raccoon take 3 ducklings out of a temporary outdoor brooder that had smaller openings than that crate. There was no evidence, no bodies, just 3 missing young ducks (they were about 3-4 weeks old). We got game cams and saw the tracks. No latch was opened or anything, so I'd say its DEFINITELY possible a raccoon snatched yours. I know it seems impossible, but... from personal experience, I'd say its definitely possible.

You’ll have to get her a drone for Christmas ;) then she can really find out what the neighbors are doing!
Dont give them ideas!!
I remember way back we had this elderly lady next door- during a few months we had some building work done and had left tools at the side of the garden- she complained to us that it ruined her view of the garden :gigI remember we'd sit in the garden having conversations and she'd just pop her head over the fence and join in. Wasn't long after that my dad put a 6 foot fence up. I loved her, she was a character. 🤣

Oh no! That's terrible. I am a chicken person, not a duck person, but if the ducks are gone, the cage was latched, and there weren't feathers all over the place to show there was some kind of struggle, then they were probably taken by some person.

I don't know what to tell you, maybe ask around to see if anyone has seen them?

It may be the cage that prompted well-meaning "saving" by some passerby.
Or like Poultrybonkers suggested, someone thought they were being offered for free.
Wouldn’t they take all of them if they thought they were saving them though?

I would put up some posters saying you are missing them. Maybe if it was a mistake, the person will see the posters and realize they shouldn’t have taken them? I would also put somewhere on the posters that you found 3 Pekin ducks encase your thief thought you stole theirs first.

Since your neighbor has such a watchful eye, can you ask him if he saw anything? I don't know how old he is, but I noticed that the older generations, 60 to 65 are way more observant than us "young" folks...40ish When my mom in law stayed with us she told us what the neighbors did during the day 😂.
Did she have a pair of Binoculars hanging around her neck? lol

Hard for me to believe a raccoon could rip ducks out of a crate and leave no trace. I have read on here horror stories of members coming out and finding headless or riped up ducks where raccoons tried to drag them through fencing etc.
not saying it didn't happen just seems there would be traces of body parts.
I didn't believe it either until we caught the coon on a game cam. It took three young ducks, and then we moved the one survivor to a more secure area and he's been fine. Then coon injured one of my chickens through chain link so we added extra hardware cloth. Just suggesting its possible to be a predator because I had a much more secure temporary pen than that crate and still lost 3 to a raccoon. There's no way I could leave birds in a dog crate overnight and have them alive in the morning.

Me either way too many predators around here. Actually we had a chicken leave her fenced property go out into the woods hatch 10 chicks and walk them home but that evening we put her and the chicks into a crate under the wood shed and she was mortally wounded and her chicks scattered I was only able to find 4 the next morning. This was my stupidity thinking they would be safe overnight until we secured a more temporary space for them. :(

Back
Top Bottom